Copper IUD or Diaphragm

I am considering a copper IUD. We are done having children. I haven't managed to talk my husband into getting the vasectomy yet. I don't want to get the tubal ligation, either. How much worse is the bleeding and cramping with a cooper IUD? Any other problems with it? The other choice, since I'm nursing is the diaphragm, but is it reliable ENOUGH?

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 9:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Health

• A diaphram is NOT as much protection as an IUD, but it's safer. There is no side effects or real infection risks if you use it properly. However Copper is a metal, and is toxic, so the IUD does carry some risks and side effects, but it has a higher protection rate... I do not believe in IUDs so I don't know from personal experience about the cramping and whatnot...

What are his issues with getting the vasectomy? My husband has been wanting one for years, and we just keep putting the money in to other things - and here we are pregnant yet again... Wishing we had put the money there...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I've had the copper iud in for about a year and a half. My periods are a little different. They start off super light then get heavy. They last 7 days instead of five like before. BUT it is more reliable than a tubal ligation. I don't mind getting periods, throw me some Excedrin and some super tampons and I'm good to go!! My sister has the Mirena iud and doesn't get a period anymore, maybe that one would work for you.
    Paredes05

Answer by Paredes05 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Original Poster. I think my husband just wants to avoid the embarrassment factor. I'm okay with the diaphragm, but I'd don't think I'd be delighted to accidentally get pregnant. I'm a little scared of the IUD (copper since I don't want hormones). Anyone else? Have you gotten pregnant with the diapragm or had issues with the copper IUD?
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 5:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• bump
    Hazelnutkin

Comment by Hazelnutkin (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• bump
    Hazelnutkin

Comment by Hazelnutkin (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2010