Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

not sure if this is the right place but i have a ?

my ex and i have a court order saying he would pay a sit amount til the youngest was out of school. but i just got a letter saying the child support is due to be reviewed. can they lower it if the office says it should be. even tho its in writing its not to be. can my ex try to use this in court to get it lowered. and before u think im mean it was a set amount due to me telling him i would not go after his retirment or almony. and i would never ask for it to be higher. if u can help it would be great thanks sooo much for ur input

Answer Question

Asked by conn30 at 9:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • A lawyer could probably help you better.

    Answer by Christina807 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

  • In Florida, my husband's child support can be reviewed every 2 years, and adjusted as needed. But I think one side has to request the review, because it's been 12 years, and it has never been reviewed. It is the same today as it was 12 years ago. Situations change, costs go up, income goes down, and that all needs to be taken into account. We've been lucky in that our situations haven't much changed, and there's been no need for either party to request a review.

    Answer by my2.5boys at 11:40 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

  • I don't think what you're asking is mean. But, yes, it can be lowered if the other parent can show that they have good reason to not be able to pay that amount. For example, with the economy the way it is, a lot of families - whether they're "together" or two family homes are having to make changes, cut costs, etc. Some drastically - because the paycheck just isn't there / it's at a substantially lower rate.

    Because, for example - if your ex made, say, 5 grand a month (take home). It would think it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to pay, say, $1000 a month in child support. But, because of downsizing, he had to take a pay cut, and now he's bringing home 2500 - to expect that he still pay $1000 would be an unfair burden. It would suck for the other parent and for the child, but sadly, that's the reality for families these days. Just like the child whose parents were still together would also lose out in that case.


    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.