How important is the first ultrasound?

My husband just started a new job the same day I found out I was preggo. He will not be eligible for insurance for 90 days and cobra is not available and we probably couldn't afford it if it were. I called the doctor and they are having me come in for blood work and an ultrasound at 8 wks. I understand the blood work, and am prepared to pay out of pocket because it needs to be done, but what is the point of the ultrasound that early. I have never had one that early before. They told me it was to confirm the pregnancy. Is it really necessary? Would it hurt to skip the ultrasound portion until the insurance picked up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's not really necessary. They can tell by measuring the amount of hcg in your blood and they can measure you from the top of your uterus to the pelvic bone.

Just tell ask them to wait until your insurance has kicked in.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Skip it! The less ultrasounds the better anyway :) Who really knows how ultrasounds can effect a pregnancy.. The only good reason for a ultrasound is to make sure everything is going "normal" mid pregnancy or so -- make sure there is only 1 baby & its growing healthy.. And only after that there should be no more US unless there is a concern.
    But to just peek to see if there is a pregnancy is kinda silly... If there is a pregnancy, you will know in time by a growing belly, no period, ect. ect... And if you do have an ultrasound & it confirms pregnancy it isnt a promise the pregnancy will stick (sometimes a pregnancy will end itself & the woman never knows)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• This is what I thought, My thought is if there is something wrong at 8 weeks what are they going to do but make me worry and go home to wait things out. If I am not having any unusual symptoms why worry? And isn't peeing on a stick proof enough these days?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My OB told me that once you see a heartbeat on the monitor, there's a much lower chance of having a miscarriage - but I guess they might be able to locate a heartbeat with a fetal doppler?

Answer by missanc at 9:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It is extrememly important. This U/S tells you whether your baby implanted in your uterus or if you have an eptopic pregnancy. Also, with my 3rd baby they found a mass in my placenta in the 6 wk U/S. I ended up being referred to a specialist and was high risk. My baby was born healthy via c-secion but had I labored with her they said I would have bled to death. The mass wasn't as visible in the 20 wk U/S because the baby takes up so much space by then. They only could see it then because they knew from the 6 wk U/S that it was there. They can examine the placenta in the 8 wk U/S for things that can't be seen in the 20 wk due to the baby blocking their view.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:52 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I think it is really important because after 10 weeks most malformations have already formed, and if there is a problem wouldnt you want help ASAP?
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• An ultra sound that early is NOT necessary! I wouldnt be too concerned about it :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 11:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I only had one ultrasound, at 18 weeks, when I had an amnio.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It is not necessary to confirm pregnancy; the bloodwork is fine. As you said yourself, they want to use it to confirm the pregnancy, not because there is an epidemic of masses found in placentas.

Also, an ectopic pregnancy can be suggested by lower than normal hcg and the absence of signs of a pregnant uterus.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 7:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• They use it to confirm viable pregnancy, to estimate gestational more accurately than LMP, and I think they like to see where it's implanted. Heartbeat is usually not detectable by Doppler until about 12 weeks.
    valorie59

Answer by valorie59 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2010