How to get the school to agree to IEP for my daughter.

She recently started taking medication for ADD. She has failed 5th grade due to reading. Meagan needs the accommodations. I know all about it because my son has had an IEP for 9 years. Meagan is struggling and I KNOW she will benefit from it...but I dont know where to start. When Jason started, it was the school that recommended it. Not sure who and what to ask for.

LoriRedd

Asked by LoriRedd at 9:18 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Once you have gone through the teacher and counselor, ask for a meeting with those two plus the principal and even the special ed director for your system. At this point during this meeting if they do not agree to an IEP for your child, you tell them that you want to start your "due process", these two words should get things started. Once you tell them you want due process they have a certain number of days to do what you ask or they are in violation for national and state laws. You should be able to find out the number of days for your state online or calling your states ed dept, and it is not that many days.

I hope you get the services you need. Good Luck!

t_dmom

Answer by t_dmom at 11:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Thank you both! I will definitely get started on this asap. I will do whatever it takes to help her be successful.
    LoriRedd

Answer by LoriRedd at 2:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• We first called the school with our concerns and were asked to request a meeting (via formalized letter) with the school indicating that we wanted our child to be evaluated for special services. Then came a meeting with several individuals from the school to discuss those concerns and the process itself; it was at this time that I shared with them all the documentation that I had collected over the years re: the numerous evaluations and specialists that we had seen up to that point - I'd be careful with that one because our school chose not to do testing that had already been done (even though it was years prior - heaven forbid they would spend the extra time/$$$ to have current info). The school then did their testing (what a joke) and then came the BIG meeting to discuss if he qualified for an IEP. Work with an advocate if you can (we hired a lawyer). Good you luck; it was one of the worst experiences of my life.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:25 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I agree withAnon.9:22 & tdmom.. here.:)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:39 AM on Jun. 19, 2010