How old do babies have to be in order to let them sleep through the night?

mommyZboys

Asked by mommyZboys at 9:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "let them"? well a baby thats a couple months old can be allowed to sleep thru. before that I would wake them every four hours still.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• After the first few days/one week (as soon as breastfeeding was well established) I let mine sleep as long as they would at night, by that time they were sleeping 5 hours which some people consider STTN. By 2 months they were sleeping at least 8 hours/night.

Answer by missanc at 9:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• At night? If that child is sleeping in no way am I waking him/her. If they are hungry they will wake crying up a storm! (different story for a preemie) Full tirm babies let them sleep. Get as many feeding in during the day. My friends dd slept from 7 pm till 7 am . she is 19 now and still loves her sleep...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I NEVER wake my kids. One of my babies was sleeping 9 hours at night at one week old. It will vary depending on your own child. An infant should be fed when they wake up and are crying. However, if your baby doesn't wake up, let him/her sleep!! My 3rd was sleeping 12 hours at night by 6 weeks old.

I would say once they are 9-12 months you could start teaching them to sleep through the night without eating. That is usually when we start. My husband will often go in to comfort them since they can't nurse off of him! :-) The only exception is when they are sick or unusually fussy - then I will nurse in the middle of the night. If he can't calm them down in 10 minutes, then I go in.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:17 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Never wake a sleeping baby

Answer by rkoloms at 10:19 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You don't LET your child sleep through the night. It's not your choice. If your child sleeps through the night then that is something they'll decide on their own. And if they do, let them sleep. I never woke my children when they slept through the night. Ever. Once they're asleep they sleep until they wake up naturally.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• There is no set age to let them sleep through the night. They will do it when they are ready. I have never woke any of my 4 children up when they are sleepig purposefully for any reason unless it is a doctor's appointment or emergency situation.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I woke my first and he was a terrible sleeper for 2 years, then I read somewhere that in other countries people worry about whether it's ok to wake them if they've been sleeping for hours and the mom really wants to nurse, that just made me think differently and I decided to let my second sleep as long as she could at night. She slept for 4-5 hours from day one (and I got yelled at by a nurse for letting her), she slept 8 hours consistantly by about 4 weeks old. I did the same with my 3rd baby and he is 4 1/2 months now, he sleeps through the night sometimes and wakes up sometimes, so it doesn't guarantee a baby who will sleep through the night, but at least he isn't up every 3 hours like my first.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I neeeeever woke my son (except a couple times in the hospital cause he just wouldnt wake up..lol..and the nurses were concerned). The doctor told me not to. He woke every 3 hours on his own and if he went 4, i didnt wake him. He started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks. If they need something they will wake.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• No need to wake a sleeping baby unless they're not wetting enough.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2010