What chores should a 11 year old be be doing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• dishes, garbage, laundry. My daughter does alot, and love it.

Yet my 14 year old don't want to do nothing.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• When I was 11, I had to do dishes, dust the wood furniture, and vacuum once a week.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 9:57 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My 12 year old does laundry once/week, takes out the trash, cleans the vanity/mirror in his bathroom, sweeps the kitchen floor two nights/week, vacuums and dusts his own room plus one more once/week. I think that's it.

Answer by missanc at 10:02 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Cut grass, weed eat, clean their room, dishwasher, trash, take out dogs, help keep the house tidy...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Going to school is their priority. At home I would expect them to take care of their room and that's about it. Sometimes I ask my oldest to put away clean dishes and help sort laundry. If there is a pet in the home that can be their responsibility as well. The rest is my job - I am the mom.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

I completely agree with you but my hubby hates it!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My almost 10yo is responsible for keeping her own things picked up (toys, books, clothes), doing her own laundry (although, like today, volunteer to do it to give her a break), empty the dishwasher when I ask, clean up any mess she makes in the kitchen (including sweeping, mopping, scrubbing tables/counters, putting dishes in the sink) and helping with any other chores around the house that need taken care of like taking the trash out, carrying groceries, cleaning up the yard, dusting (although the younger kids usually snatch that job up). Actually my 7 and 8 year olds are expected to do the same.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• They could do almost any household chores at 11. As a mom you should be teaching them responsibility. Doing chores is good for kids. Moms are not slaves they should be teachers.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My 10yo daughter Keeps her own room clean, helps me put laundry away, cleans the dining room after meals, and if there are other small odd and end jobs I need her help with she does that too. She also occasionally takes the trash out (when Daddy forgets LOL)
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• orionsgirl
    but how are they ever going to learn how to do it if you don't teach them? how are they going to "be that mom" if you aren't teaching them the skills they need now.
    My grandmother never taught my mom how to do anything so when she moved out at 19 she had no clue that stuff actually got dirty and didn't know what to do about it. It was a long hard road for her to learn, on her own, how to effectively clean things and how often it needed to be done.

my 5 and 4 year old help with dishes, help with laundry, clean their own room, and help clean the bathrooms. And the older they get, the more chores they will take on. It teaches them responsibility, working as a team, citizenship, as well as much needed survivor skills.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:38 AM on Jun. 16, 2010