My boys fight constantly!

I have two boys age 16 and 13. They tease each other all the time. The 16 yr old is much bigger and picks on the 12yr old. The 12yr old is much smaller and he takes everything to heart. Is this normal for boys? They don't punch each other just call each other names. I get tired of listening to them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Very very normal! they will eventually outgrow it and be best of pals.

Answer by older at 10:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I had my 4 sons in 5 years and no, it is not normal nor a "boy thing". Mine are now 18, 19, 22 and 23 and in all their years growing up there were very few arguments between them. We taught them from a young age (3-4) that we don't hit, scream at or tease other people. If they did have a disagreement we sat down and they talked out their feelings and there were many times that we would have the arguing parties sit down and right 10 postive things about the brother they were mad at. It always helped for them to remember the good things they liked about their brothers when they had issues. People always commented on how close they were when they were growing up and on how they never argued. They are grown now and are the best of friends and are very close. We never tolerated nasty behavior between siblings.
    Anonymous

• Most of the friends I have with boys go through the same thing. I have boys who are also 4 years apart (15 & 12), and they do fight but its not mean spirited. Its a playful fighting. The older son does tend to pick on my younger son, but not it in a hurtful way - not teasing or being nasty just being down right annoying. They are both very athletic and both wrestle so there is a lot that in my house. One time they put my younger son through the drywall - ugh - wasn't on purpose and he wasn't hurt but things tend to get a little out of hand. My younger son use to take it to heart (the taunting), I had a conversation with my older son explaining how his younger brother looks up to him and its important to be aware of what he's doing or saying even in play to ensure he's not hurting his brother emotionally. Since then those things have been better. Hang in there it does get better.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My boys get along great btw for the most part, they are there for each other. My older son sticks up for my younger son, helps him with homework, helps coach his sports team; even put together a football league for the elementary students to be able to play some football in the summer. They are close, but they just have there moments where I think they get bored or something and just need to let loose. Not sure what it is - but as long as they are not coming to blows or being mean I really don't worry about it, because I know they love each other by they way interact outside of that.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Perfectly normal.
    My daughters say so because they act the exact same way.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I have 3 boys 18, 20 & 27 they are the best of friends, & wouldn't let anyone else mess with their brothers, but they absolutely fight & argue....over everything. And, of course they've been taught since they were small that they couldn't yell at each other or call each other names...but they still do, I think it's normal. I have 2 brothers & my husband is 1 of 3 boys...it seems normal to me.

Can I share my favorite parenting rule?? It's called "Mom's Dirty Word Rule" & it goes like this....say something on Mom's dirty word list & scrub something dirty." Now on my list are things like "I hate you" "You're stupid" "jerkface".....you get the idea..... They can get stuck scrubbing a floor, a toilet, a shower......you never know. I figure they either are the best spoken kids, or I have a spotless house....it's more like they're pretty well mannered, especially in front of people, & I have a reasonably clean house it works for me.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I have a 13 and 11 yr old and everything is a competition to them. My oldest one is very athletic and he tries to over power my younger one. they fight, bicker, name call you name it it happens. I am also at a loss. when will they finally outgrow this behavior.
    2boysiluv

Answer by 2boysiluv at 11:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2010