how do i get my boys to be nicer to each other?

my 5 year old and 3 year old are always at each others faces, fighting, screaming and hurting each other. timeouts just don't work any more, i can't take them out without me being mad or trying to get them to listen, school is out and i'm so not looking forward to going out with them. desperately needing advice!!!

kaitic

Asked by kaitic at 10:12 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• As the mother of 5 boys, I know all too well what you're going through. What I found that works the best is to let them fight it out. They'll find common ground & everything will be fine. If you're always stepping in to break up a fight (I learned all too well the hard way) then every time they get into even a little fight, they're going to constantly come to you to tattle. That being said, you do have to lay down some ground rules for the 'fights'. No matter what, hitting is not allowed. They cannot hurt each other. Let them scream at each other all they want, but no hurting. Maybe try to help them find some common ground. My kids get along best when they're playing a computer game, or the Wii. They also play great together when they're outside. Cooped up inside? No way. Referee to a point where you'll be able to keep your sanity, but otherwise...let them hash it out! GOOD LUCK MOMMA!!
    mama_of5

Answer by mama_of5 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Let them duke it out. Seriously. Tell them since they're not listening to you, you're not going to protect them. It won't take long for the losing one to agree to listen to you and be on "your side". Then you only have one to worry about in public, and that's a whole lot easier than dealing with 2
    ohsowonderful

Answer by ohsowonderful at 12:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2010