Reducing the nation's salt intake

I saw this article online this morning and figured I'd see what you guys thought. The average american eats about 3000-4000 mg of sodium per day, when the actual maximum should be 1500-2000 mg. Many companies are now going to begin slowly reducing the amount of sodium in their foods. As a person who is on a low sodium diet by necessity, I can honestly say many American's don't know HOW to eat a low sodium diet. They don't recognize which food contain excessive amounts of sodium or how to cook tasty low sodium meals. My questions are:

1. Are you concerned about the amount of sodium you and your family eats?
2. What do you think of companies reducing the amount of sodium in their foods? Do you think it will influence you buying the product because the taste will change?

Article link is below.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 10:14 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am not concerned. We eat real, whole foods, not preprocessed junk.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:18 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:14 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• First of all, they cannot tell how much sodium an average family takes in one day. Not unless they go into the homes and watch every single person in America. It cannot be based on purchased products either, because I know families who buy food, but never finish the package, or never open the package. There is no way to calculate that type of information unless they are in every home in the country watching their intake.

Second of all if is not anyone choices but the consumer as to what we put into our mouths. It is not the manufactuers choice, not the suppliers choice, not the neighbors choice. It is the individuals choice. It is a reduce in our freedoms of choice to decide for us what we consume. It is not right for any company to decide what we should be consuming based on an uneducated guess.

I'm not saying America being fat is healthy, but it is our choice! OUR choice!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I personally think it's a good thing, it makes it so much easier for those who HAVE heart disease/high blood pressure and other problems to actually be able to eat. I can NOT go to a convenience store or fast food restaurant or anything like that and find one single thing i can get to eat in an "emergency" situation when I'm stuck out and need to find something quick. When I know I'm going out for a while, i bring my own snacks. But I don't just keep food in my car, the hot weather is not good for it. Once you reduce the amount of sodium you eat, you realize how horrible foods that are loaded with it taste. If you eat boxed flavored rice mixes, you're eating 40%+ of your recommended daily allowance of salt in one serving. There is NO reason for that. Make it with LESS SODIUM then let people take their health into their own hands and add all the excess salt they want when it's on THEIR plate, not MINE.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:10 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• High blood pressure and heart disease runs in my family, and I am working hard to teach my kids to eat low fat and low sodium because of this, society just makes it SO hard here in the US.
    AprilDJC

• We have no salt in our house whatsoever. We have never liked it, never used it, so stopped buying it. If we have company who prefers it they will just have to do without it.
    We also do not waste our money on all those pre-packaged and processed foods that contain high levels of sodium in them. If you have headaches, you may want to think about what you are eating and then start looking at the labels. High sodium can cause frequent headaches, along with hypertension.
    I know that the quickie meals are more convenient when people are busy, but if you have at least one day a week where you can make a large casserole and then freeze it into individual servings, all you have to do is take one serving out the night before so it is thawed out the next day for you to pop into the microwave for a lunch. You can have a quick and healthy meal if you plan ahead.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2010