Would you go to the Destin area next month?

We are expected to make a second payment on a vacation to the Rosemary Beach area for mid July and we don't know what to do. We have three young kiddos and even though the oil isn't there yet, we fear it will be there in 3 more weeks. The only way we will get a refund is if the "beaches are closed". We don't know if they will really ever close them - maybe to swimming but not to sun bathing and walking...

Should we walk away from the $ we have already put in or take our chances and put down that second deposit? Our kids LOVE the beach! I realize that our impact is so small in comparison to all of those people whose livelihood's have been decimated and the sea life too...So sad.

LadyLatch

Asked by LadyLatch at 10:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Travel

• The good news,, they are doing their best to keep the oil off of the shore,,, if it does make it to the shore, they will be forced to close the beaches for public health reasons,,, I would say go,,IDK how much you have to pay, but there are some fun things to do there, besides going to the beach,, and I bet you can get some really good deals right now on eating out and things,,,if you don't pay the rest, and the close the beach,, can you still get back the other half of your deposit? If you don't pay the rest, do you have enough to do something else? Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:27 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• We are in the same position, we have a rental booked right on the beach by Port St Joe in mid-July. They WILL close the beaches if there is sheen on the water, it's not safe. I just paid the second half of the rental, we can get a refund or a different house if the beaches are closed.

We are going to see what happens - if they close the beaches we are going to try and get a different house with a pool. We have every intention of going, the last thing that area needs is for the tourists to abandon them. I'm going to volunteer with the clean up effort, along with my kids and DH. We have been enjoying our "beach house vacation" every year for the last 5, it's time for us to give back a little.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Just got back from Cape San Blas (right outside of Port St. Joe) yesterday we had a great time. They did close the beaches in Fort Walton from what I heard for a couple of days. The water at San Blas was beyond crystal clear. In all honesty we really did not spend much time on the beach. I can't explain it, we stayed busy even though there was nothing to do there. It was GREAT! The state park had a park for the kids to play and the swimming in the bay was much easier on the kids then swimming on the gulf shores. We rented a boat one day and had a great time out on the water. It was a very relaxing week. I would say GO!
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2010