Is grocery shopping this stressful to you too!?

I cook for my mom, DH, DD (3yo), and myself...Its very difficult! I want to eat super healthy, but my DH hates veggies & loves meats. My mom hates chicken & alot of stuff I like.. My DD is in general a picky eater..
Every week I get so frustrated Im so tired of cooking the same stuff weekly. Its not healthy. Its starting to make my skin crawl.. But I can never find healthy recipes that will make my DH & mom both happy! Or the recipe is above my head! Im not a great cook. Im not good at finding ingredience at the store..
I just wanna cry!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I agree in buying a cookbook but give it to your mom then DH and have them highlight the things sound good to them. Then come up with a spreadsheet of meals to rotate through the week- hopefully you can get about a month worth of different things to cook. Gooseberry Patch Cookbooks are fantastic! You can get used ones thru Amazon.com for less than $3! Try their 5 ingredients or less cookbook. www.gooseberrypatch.com Try finding a healthy eating cookbook that doesn't look like a 'diet' cookbook and try Cooking Light magazine too!

Unfortunately your family will have to live with what you cook- as this is your job and this is how you contribute to the family, and as long as you do it well (food is healthy, edible, and enjoyable to at least one person at the table) then no one has a right to complain. But, let them see that you are making an effort to include their likes into the new healthy eating regime.
    CarrieGemenon19

Answer by CarrieGemenon19 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Posts like this remind me to be happy that my husband cooks.
    Sorry I don't have any advice!
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 10:17 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I just hate grocery shopping in general.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I'm lucky that I don't have to cook for picky eaters, it sounds like your family makes it very challenging to cook healthy meals. You need to serve vegetables to make healthy meals, & lean proteins are important, chicken is 1 of the easiest & most affordable healthy proteins.

I would make a list of the recipes everyone likes, & make a weekly menu planner. My menu looks something like this:

Monday- Family night- homemade pizza, salad or minestrone, carrots/celery with peppercini
    Tuesday- Chicken- Oven Fried Chicken, Yam Fries, Green Beans
    Wednesday- Vegetarian- Grilled Veggie Sandwiches, Horseradish Potato Salad, 3 bean salad
    Thursday- Ground Poultry- Spaghetti, Salad or leftover minestrone, garlic bread
    Friday- Seafood- Salmon Patties, Seasoned Brown Rice, Steamed Veggies
    Saturday- Poultry-Greek Chicken Ceasar Salad with brown basmati rice mixed in, Whole Wheat dinner rolls
    Sunday- Lean Pork- Roast pork Tenderloin w/veggies
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:27 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Get a cookbook. Look for ones by Cambells. They don't tend to have a lot of prep or strange ingredients that you will only use one time. Also tell your mom and DH that you are not a short order cook. If they don't like what you fix, they are grown and can feed themselves. I normally fix a meat and 2 veggies then throw a roll or cottage cheese or salad.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Anyway, I follow the same format each week, Monday is our homemade pizza night, Tues- some kind of chicken, Weds- something vegetarian, etc., the recipes change each week though. I often serve fruit with dinner, or as dessert. My actual menu planner has Breakfasts, lunches and snacks on it as well, this way I know we get enough fruits and vegetables in.....

If you consistently serve a variety of foods, your kids will be better eaters, and not as picky as you hubby and mom. I would make these things, and serve them, and ask your husband and mom to support you so that your kids become healthy eaters. A variety of fruits and vegetables is SO important.

Good luck, I don't know if this is any help with your problem, but if you'd like any recipes just holler!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:31 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Here is what I do- I cook and serve healthy foods and "you get what you get and thats it". Meaning if you don't like it- don't eat it. I cook with lots of veggies try to stick with lean meats.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 10:46 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• i think the campbells cook book idea is a good one! Very simple, healthy, easy recipes everyone likes, and it's not just soups. My SO isnt that picky of an eater but he prefers meat w/ a side, and ds is 2 and going through the wonderful picky eater phase. DS has been very hard to satisfy lately.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• There are 4 of us that I cook for, me,hubby, 8 year old and 5 year old (we also have a 7 month old but he'son baby food right now).I used to have this problem. Every night at least one person would complain about what was for dinner. I got to the point that you are at. I got SO tired of cooking the same things just to make everyone else happy and I wasn't getting my favorite things (I know kind of childish). So, I just started cooking what i wanted for dinner. Meaning, I would pick dinner for that night. It might be one of my favorites, hubby's favorites, you get the point. Of course this made the complaining more common. BUT when they realized that I wasn't going to keep making the same old boring things, they got over it. They know that if they don't eat what I cook, they go hungry. So, even though I still get some complaints, they eat it now. We have also started letting the boys pick dinner one night a week.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 11:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I cook, if they don't want to eat it, they do not. Simple as that. It is how it has always been, so I do not have picky eaters. Stand your ground, you're not a short order cook.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:12 AM on Jun. 16, 2010