My 15 year old son broke his metarsal bone in his foot 9 months ago and now it is broke again....Should I be worried about bone density????

Momofthree1229

Asked by Momofthree1229 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Does he play sports? What did his doctor say? If I am right, those bones are really thin and easily broken especially if your son is rough. I wouldn't worry about bone density unless he was breaking his legs/hips/ankles from falling.
    Anonymous

• The bones of the foot are thin. But I would still ask to be referred to an Orthopedist (bone doc) just to be safe.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• If he consumes a lot animal calcium and protein, this can definitely affect bone health.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Generally, once a bone breaks it becomes weakened and prone to breaking again. Not to mention how easy it is to break a bone in the foot considering how thin the bones are. Just make sure he's getting his daily recommended dose of calcium. I'm sure you're doctor will say the same thing but if it will ease your mind, you should ask him. Good luck, momma!
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 9:12 AM on Jun. 17, 2010