When does your doctor start doing vaginal exams to see if you have progressed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My dr started last week, 37 weeks
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:46 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• 37 weeks
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I refused to let mine even go there. Till I was in labor. I did not want to bring in bateria. My Dr respected my wishes.  Plus it does not tell you anything at all. I know so many that will walk around 3cm for a month or longer.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I had a midwife and she did not do those until I was full term. It really doesn't serve a purpose except to satisfy your curiosity.
    Anonymous

• It should never be done. The only reason is to satisfy your curiosity, and it opens you up to all sorts of infection.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My midwife didnt do them routinely. I think I had 1 at the very end of each pregnancy, 1 cause I was in pre term labor, 1 because I was cramping (turned out to be a kidney infection) the other 2 when I was over due!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 11:27 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Mine checked at 35 weeks - they were doing the Group B culture anyway so while they were poking around down there they checked just for curiosity.

Answer by missanc at 12:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Every practice is different. Some don't even do VE's. The ones that do usually start sometime in the last trimester. Ask your doc at the next visit what their protocol is.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Around 40 weeks, the midwives here will begin to check you. Anytime before that is not required and can actually cause serious infections and preterm labor.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My doctor starts offering to do it at 36 weeks but since it doesn't tell you how close to labor or anything your are or really serve a purpose at all I refused them.

I also only allowed them to check me once during labor.

Vaginal exams can introduce bacteria and really do not need to be done. I would avoid them if at all possible.
    Anonymous