Any ideas on how to aid constipation for a 7 month old baby?

I have a 7 month old baby girl and she is constipated (little hard stools). I have mixed an ounce of prune juice to 6oz of her milk. I am on day 2 or 3 w/the prune juice. I gave her the prune milk once a day and have jumped it to twice a day. I am not sure if it has helped her stools to become smaller. They were a significant size before and now have become small (like pellets). Help please! :)

SimpleeMommy

Asked by SimpleeMommy at 10:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep up with the prune juice. I would try just the prune juice with water tho...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I would call the pediatrician, explain the situation, and see what they recommended. Hope she gets better soon!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Try feeding her stage one prunes...it always helps my dd even if I just give her half the container...if u do t want to do that try just prune juice and a lil water to dilute it instead of mixing it with milk hope it helps!!
    maddie12284

Answer by maddie12284 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• A friend of ours had this problem with her baby. Her pedi told her to put 1/2 teaspoon of prune juice in EVERY bottle and 1/4 teaspoon in any baby food she eats. She did that for 2 days and it cleared up. Now when the baby starts to show signs all she has to do is put it in two or three bottles and it goes away again. If your not sure it lasts for more than a couple days, I'd call her pedi.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Thanks gals... glad I started out w/the best solution of prune juice.

She wouldn't take the prune w/water so we gave it to her w/her milk. Thanks for the advice, I am going to take heed! :)

@ mommy11260 -- I want to take all steps to aid this as much as I can before I go the pediatrician... but if absolutely needed, they are an option! Thanks for your help. :)
    SimpleeMommy

Answer by SimpleeMommy at 11:23 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I always start out with apple juice. 2 ounces of apple juice in her bottle. If that doesn't work within 3-4 hours I put some prunes in her bottle. I don't use the juice, I use the stage 1 prunes. You can also try looking around online there are supposed to be massages and stuff that can help. Rubbing her belly and what not. I've never tried them so I don't know if they work or not.

One time when dd was constipated I told dh to give her a prune bottle while I was at work. He put THREE spoonfulls of prunes in her bottle, an hour later she hadn't pooped yet so he made her another one! The poor thing pooped for two days. I wanted to kill him. But I guess it worked!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• gerber apple/prune juice
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 12:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• just give her baby food prunes. i use gerber 1st foods prunes when my son is constipated he will be 8 months 6-19.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Increase her liquids. MOst of her diet should still be liquid, either breastmilk or formula. Solids should be an afterthought,. all the way to the first birthday. If you're giving cereal, drop it. That's a known constipator.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• the milk may be the problem.ive your baby plenty of water. go talk with docter about your baby's problem.
    Anonymous