let me ask this a different way...

Would you put your child in a pull-up at night when she is BEGGING you to sleep in underwear? She really can't stay dry through the night unless we wake her up once (which we do right before we go to bed, so it's no big deal)... But if I suggest the pull-up at night, she just breaks down, "Mommy, no, pleeeaaaasse, I PROMISE I will stay dry... I CAN..." She just can't. But how do you say no to that when she's trying to accomplish something? I've tried explaining that the pull-up is just there in case, and that she's still such a big girl and we're so proud of her, that she just needs a little help getting her body to wake her up... Nothing convinces her, she just keeps insisting, 'I CAN. I WILL!" Bottom line, if I wake her, she makes it till morning. She doesn't even fully wake up, though, so I think she believes she is staying dry on her own. Is this a bad thing? I just caught some flack for it in another group.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Get one of those plastic mattress covers and let her try! Some kids (my own included) have this problem,, but after we did it for a month or so,, DRY pants,, LOL! I don't think what ever you chose would deserve to get bashed for,, I hate it when you want advice and someone is snarky! Bottom line ,, your kiddo and you should do whatever works best for you! Hugs!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• dude, keep her out of a pull up. it's not a bad thing. my daughters are 2 (almost 3) and 4... once they started training (both at 2) they were out of diapers and pull-ups. yes, there may be accidents, but it's a part of learning. my first daughter was completely pt 3 days later... my second had more difficulties... but have seen that when daycare would put her in a pull up (without my permission, and when i specifically said no) as well as my ex putting her in diapers on his weekends, it took so much longer.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 11:08 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My son HATES pull- ups. He is almost 7. He WANTS to stay dry, he TRYS to stay dry, he just can't. And YUP I make him wear the pull up to bed. I am not doing wet sheets every morning.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I have the same issue with my 4 yr old. I went about 6mo without putting them on her at night and I just couldnt take it anymore!! She cant wake up to save her life, and even if I do bring her to the bathroom in the middle of the night she will STILL wake up wet :( Her 3 yr old sister does not need one and has not needed one since she was 2! Her brother never needed one at night either. When I started buying them again she would put up a fight, and say the same thing as yours, and she will wake up wet. I dont have a washer and dryer at home so I cant be washing sheets and blankets everyday :/
    My advice is, if she really is refusing to wear one than after she falls asleep, put a towel under her or something. Thats what we have done!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 11:19 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I used to pick up my dd and carry her to the bathroom. she wouldnt wake up but whatever keeps the sheets dry is a good thing lol. My dd is 8 and she does just fine on her own at night now. She has done fine since she turned 7. I would put soemthing to protect the matress just in case and keep carrying her to the bathroom. My dd slept like a rock and just couldnt wake up. It is very normal.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Thank you all. @ Gracefulsky, in this particular case, I do understand pull-ups as a potential hindrance, but I know that the pull-ups aren't the problem with her wetting in this case (we never, ever used a pull-up during the day either once we started training at 19 months). At night, whether she has an accident in the pull-up or in her underwear, she just sleeps on through till morning. She doesn't use the pull-up on purpose or out of convenience (when she was sleeping in one, she would tell me with her sad voice sometimes that her pull-up was wet but that she would do better next time). Her little sister had a whole dry month in pull-ups (we kept her in them longer than we would have because we didn't want to make big sister feel bad about wearing one). Now they're both in underwear... I just have to wake up the big girl, not the little one.
    Anonymous

• I would not make her if she begged. We didn't do pullups with my kids, but my DD was adamant about not wearing diapers at night once she was day trained. It took her a little while longer to get it at night, but I didn't make her wear diapers. We did no fluids after dinner, and I woke her once to potty when I went to bed (a few hours after her). We had some old towels we used under her sheets to protect the mattress and absorb the accident if she did pee. It didn't take long.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• that makes sense... but if it's not hurting her, then i would continue to wake her up to take her to the bathroom... if shes not even waking up fully, then you're not making her lose sleep either. lol. mattress covers work great... and if you really don't want to even worry about the sheets, put those plastic panties on her, over her other panties... that way you only have 1 pair of panties to wash... and you could easily wash them in the sink, or wherever...
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 1:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Sounds just like my son, and silly me let that happen just 2 nights ago and he woke up soaked!
    Anonymous

• They have these plastic mattress covers, out there. try buying that and let her sleep in her regular panties.If she's 3yrs old and you really think she's not ready to sleep in regular panties then keep her in pull-up . for a little while longer, but if shes 4 yrs old she should really be out of those pull-ups. gl.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:00 AM on Jun. 17, 2010