What's the best way to deal with a child with Oppositional Defiant Disorder?

From mother's point of view what would it be the best way to address this problem. Forget about medication and doctors and therapists. What can a mother do to help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• My advice would be to set very clear limits and consistently enforce them with an effective consequence. Never yell and scream when upset, in other words I wouldn't let him see me lose my temper. ODD kiddos can sometimes feel a sense of gratification from getting a rise out of adults. I would also set up a very tight routine and stick to it each day. Try to avoid diverting from the schedule or routine and see if the consistency is effective in curbing the negative behavior. GL momma! That's a tough situation to be in! I've dealt with ODD kiddos for many years and its not an easy task.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

Thank you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Set clear expectations & consequences.

If you haven't already, have him tested for food sensitivities. Underlying food sensitivities can cause behavioral problems that mimic symptoms of add, adhd, bipolar, ODD, and autism/asperger's. All it takes is blood work.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2010