Weight requirements for carseats?

When do babies go from the laying down car seat to a normal sitting up one? DD is 6 mos old, 18lbs and can sit up. She gets so mad in her carseat now because she tries to sit up but can't, and her feet stick out over the edge.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• As long as you keep her rearfacing, she can use it now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:27 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• And to add...she can use a big carseat rear facing. At one year old AND 20 lbs, she can face forward, but, not until she meets BOTH requirements.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:31 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Most convertible carseats can be used from birth, or 5 lbs. If you let me know your budget, I can help find a seat to suit your needs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• the reason being their neck muscles aren't strong enough until they're a yr old. You can switch her to a sitting up carseat now, some convertible ones have an insert for when they would be in a lying down position. Do a little research on brands before you go, sounds like you may want to invest in one that'll hold a heavier kid for longer. Britax is a good brand that's on the cheaper side. I love my even flo & my graco.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• OP here: Lol@ nyx7 your comment about holding a heavier kid just made me laugh. She's a big baby, but her daddy is 6'8''. She's at the top of the height and weight charts!
    Anyways... my budget is insanely small. Like less than 100$ if possible, and I'll prob. have to put it on layaway somewhere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Well, you can get a Scenera for about $40. You will have to buy something else down the line though. Scenera holds RF to 35 lbs, and FF to 40 lbs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You could look into the Graco My Ride 65. Theyre $115 on walmart.com and can be used up to 65 lbs. It looks like a good solid seat, a little more than the budget but you wont have to buy another seat for a long long long time. The car seat safety groups on here are great and most of the ladies there can recommend a great seat to fit your car, budget and baby.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2010