I think my kids is scared to go.

My DD(10 years old) has a softball game tommarrow an hour away, she is going to ride the bus, because I am not taking off evey game. Anyway it is my birthday tommarrow and she keeps asking me if she should still go without me because it is my birthday. I have told her about 20 times go, because I have to work anyway. I think she is scared to go on the bus or something, I am thinking about not having her go maybe she has a sense of something bad will happen. her and I both have gut feelings that are right most of the time. Yes I know how weird that sounds no bashing please.
Should I make her go?? of what should I tell her?

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 11:28 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would give her a choice. Tell her you can celebrate on such and such day for your bday. I would say if you dont feel comfortable on the bus then you can stay home but I dont want you to miss your game cause of my bday.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I think a mother's instinct should always be listened to. If you feel your child is scared to go somewhere, you have to decide if it's important for her to face her fears, or if you want to tell her not to go because you just don't want her to have to be stressed about it. Personally, I think I have persuaded my oldest daughter (3) not to do things she may have been nervous about but would have loved if I hadn't been too nervous about it and talked her out of it! Not saying that's your situation at all. I just know sometimes I looked for the solicited advice to be, "no don't let her go", because somewhere inside me, I didn't want her to.
    45011mommyof2

Answer by 45011mommyof2 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Tell her it's up to her to decide. Reassure her that it's not a big deal that it's on your birthday, remind her that she's part of a team, and they are probably counting on her, but also that it's OK if she decides NOT to go, and let HER make the choice.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• OP HERE: I keel telling her to go and she keeps saying are you sure I should go.?? It is so weird.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 11:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Ask her if she'd still be worried about going if it wasn't your birthday.

Ask her if something else is bothering her. (Maybe she's being made fun of or something by her team? Maybe she's afraid to be so far away? Maybe she's afraid of riding the bus? Maybe she's just afraid she'll mess up?)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• tell her to make the choice
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 12:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• i would just ask her what she is worried about instead of making assumptions. you might be surprised by the answer.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• sometimes kids just need to be reassured that they can handle a situation...
    Anonymous

• remind your daughter that it will times when you can't take her places in the car. Tell her it will be fun riding the bus because she might meet some new friends
    Anonymous

• Sorry, but she has a obligation to the team. She needs to go.
    Anonymous