how do i easliy switch from brest feeding to bottle?

my daughter is 7 months old, about 5 months we had her switched to the bottle but then a week after she was on the bottle i didnt feel comfortable with it so i switched back and i really wish iwouldnt have, my husbands aunt and uncle and my parents are the ones that got her to the bottle and they said it was hell tryignto do it, i am just very impatient when she cryes becuase i feel bad, i hav ebeen trying but when hse goes a long while without eating i just get worried and give in, i am not sure what to do, she only took the the soothie nipples, and now she dotn want anything to do with them again simply becuase she would rather have my breeast, any suggestions on what i should do? my husbandius in the military so he really is no help to me wen it comes to switchign becuase he is always at work, please help i am desperate

asutton1

Asked by asutton1 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• is there a reason you are desperate to get her onto a bottle??
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 11:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Yes, simply because before i got pregant i was about 135 pounds and ever since i had my daughter my weight has gone down since of breastfeeding and which i knew it was going to but my its really effecting my health i now weigh 96 pounds, and thats a derastic change from whati used to be, my doctor even told me to switch to bottle but she never gave me advice on how to do because use half breast milk and half formula, and then gradually reduce the breast milk, so its basically becuase of my health, its taking alot from me, i feel like i have no energy to do anything, and i feel unhealthy
    asutton1

Answer by asutton1 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• call your doctor and ask for advice.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I think it is only common sense to get a baby used to a bottle, even if it's with breast milk..........you never know if something happens, if you become ill........need a break............it's so much easier if they'll take both.
    Italophile

Answer by Italophile at 11:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Have you tried adding more calories to your diet, or seeing a nutritionist? I know this isn't what you asked, but what if you switch her to the bottle, and you keep losing weight? Then you weaned for nothing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• if you're planning on supplementing, but not giving up breastfeeding, maybe you could start with dropping one feeding from breast and have someone else give her the bottle... that way she doesn't feel stiffed.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 12:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I had a friend who had the same problem but even more drastic of a weight loss. She decided there was no way she was going to short her child on breastmilk and fixed her problem without doing so. She ate often and as much high calorie food as possible. She was able to breastfeed until her child self weaned. It is possible to take care of you AND take care of baby. Please go see a nutritionist!!

Anonymous

• i would put breastmilk in the bottle in the way the doc suggested, also you do use alot more calories during breastfeeding so put on the feed bag. I would also see a nuturisoist.
    debmom07

Answer by debmom07 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I was the same weights as you after my first. 135 pre-pregnancy and hovering around 100 by 6 months post pardum.

You just have to get plenty of good healthy fats and calories into your diet, it's really no reason to wean.

Start taking a cod liver oil supplement, eat 1-2 eggs for breakfast every morning and shove avocado in where ever you can. If you can do dairy (I couldn't)... whole fat yogurt, cheese and milk are great. Whole olives, fish and dark poultry meat, etc...

I was back to "normal" by about 18 months and my son weaned at 30 months.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I have been trying to get my dd to take a bottle for months and the most she has ever taken is 1 ounce. She seems to prefer a sippy cup over a bottle, so you could try that. besides that, all i can really say is good luck!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2010