If my baby skips a feeding during the day, will he wake up for the missed feeding at night?

I have a 2 month old who is battling a cold... the last couple of days he has been sleeping more than usual (and I am letting him in order for him to feel better) but he has been eating less and it seems like he is waking more often at night (he usually sleeps from 8:00pm-3:30am and has been waking up at 12:00am and 4:00am).

Lisa.Price

Asked by Lisa.Price at 11:32 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its the cold, once it passes his schedule should return to normal. There's lots of things that's gonna throw his sleep schedule outa whack. Teething, illness, growth periods, etc. Once I got used to my dd's sleep patterns she would change em up on me again!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Yes, he's likely more hungry at night than usual if he is eating less during the day, although even if he was eating on schedule the sleep pattern could be thrown off just due to the discomforts of the cold. Once he is better things should get back to normal, or he will develop a new pattern that will be the new normal. At this age I don't think patterns last too long. Likr Nyx7 said, as soon as you get used to something... it changes. Lol. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• If he doesn't get his calories/fluids in during the day he will (and he should) wake up at night time to get them. I totally agree with the others- patterns come and go. When my son did this, after his little spell was over he slept even longer at night time. Now he is 15 weeks and will sleep from about 8-6:30am. This will last probably till he starts teething. LOL.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 3:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Thanks all- Last night he went back to his regular sleep pattern (although he slept very little all day).. I'll just wait out the cold and hopefully he'll be feeling better soon.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 9:07 AM on Jun. 17, 2010