If I am sued is my husband responsible for it too?

I am a SAHM. I am about to be sued for a large sum. Will they garnish my husband's wages and take our tax return?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• I worked for Great West (now a part of Cigna) and any surgery that was performed that was pre-approved then discertified was the insurance's fault. Just wait this one out, most likely you'll be let off, your insurance will be held responsible for mistakenly NOT realizing the facility wasn't credentialed before pre-approving the surgery. It's the insurance's fault, unless the insurance can prove that the facility lied about their credentials, then the facility will fall under fire. Just keep your stance that you wouldn't have had it done if you had to pay for it.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Not sure but I think it depends on why & how you're being sued. Is it a civil case? Homeowners? Car accident? If there's going to be an insurance payout like a homeowner's claim then yes he will be involved too. If you punched someone in the face...(or another situation like that where there is no insurance co) then I'm not sure.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Like the PP said, it depends. Talk to your lawyer about it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:47 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• well if you don't have a source of income, the settlement would have to come from somewhere....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Gosh, what did you do? Is your husband not aware?
    Anonymous

• op here - I would be sued by my doctor. I had a pre approved surgery last year. The insurance is saying that the facility it was performed at was not credentialed therefore I am 100% responsible for the $67,000. I am appealing it since it was a PRE-APPROVED surgery but apparently I sign a waiver for financial responsibility so they can come after me for the money. I am just terrified.
    Anonymous

• In most states your DH's wages can and will be garnished for your debt. Depending on the type of case, they can also take your tax return.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• What if we are a family of five with an income at poverty level? They will still take everything?!
    Anonymous

• well, I'm assuiming that your insurance policy is in your DH's name.. in that case, yes it is technically his debt as the primary cardholder
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• They can only take up to 40% (I think) of someone's wages. I don't know if you could get a judge to work with you on the amount. If you get the judgment, you could look into bankruptcy. I'm sorry you're going through this, insurance companies suck. Maybe you could sue the insurance company? Do you have proof that the surgery was pre approved?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2010