Do you think it's horrible of me to have to drag DS along on various errands

throughout the week, vs staying home so he can more enjoy his summer? The problem is, when we're home, he doesn't know how to entertain himself, and I play games with him and stuff sometimes but I can't do it all day. I offer suggestions, etc, but all he wants to do is play stupid video games all day - and I don't allow that. So he'll just sit around and whine he has nothing to do and wait till he can play his video games.

He is signed up for various summer activities btw, but they obviously aren't for every hour he is awake. Is it bad that I have a lot of errands to run and at least they get him out of the house and away from whining about not having anything to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There's nothing wrong with it. If anything, it's just teaching him that life isn't all about fun and games and having a good time.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Why would that be wrong? Millions of parents do that. You can't run your life around his schedule!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Nothing wrong with it. Beside, you can also make it a learning experience for him by having him help and discussing everything. Like you are Unschooling him.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• We have lots of fun activities planned for the summer, but when we are home my kids entertain themselves. We have a couple lists on hand, one is a list of fun things to do out and about and we try to do things out of the house at least 4 days a week. The other list is fun things the kids can do at home to remind them of their options. If they complain about being bored or having nothing to do, I remind them about this list, suggest a couple of chores that I could use a hand with, and tell them that if they come to me about not being able to find something to do again, I won't just suggest a chore I'll assign one.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:46 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Nothing wrong w/ a kid learning now there are things that have to happen for him to have the quality of life he enjoys. Food doesn't just magically appear in the fridge. Engage him while doing these chores, use it as a chance to teach him about $, making decisions based on best price, making & checking off a list, etc. This way its educational & fun for him.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Heck no it isn't wrong. I do that alll year with my two year old. She takes swimming and gymnastics classes but besides that everything she does is with me, we take her to do all of the things we need to do.

Something you could do to help make yourself feel better about it is make it more enjoyable for him, have him sort the coupons, or carry the list for grocery shopping, have him put the stamps on the envelopes for the post office, that kind of stuff.. get him more involved so he feels like its fun and that he isn't just being "dragged along"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My daughter enjoys going on errands; it is a great chance to talk without interruption

Answer by rkoloms at 4:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• No, my SKs and DD have to come with me for my errands. Obviously he needs more to do. I would say that everytime he says he is bored give him a chore to do....then maybe he will stop whining about being bored. i would warn him in advance...and tell him to play outside as much as possible....but when the word bored comes out of his mouth....its time for chores. i need to implement this strategy myself. ha ha!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It's good that you have him signed up for some summer activities , and it's fine to take him on your errans. but at home have him go outside and ride his bike , take him to the park, go to the zoo, Do some arts and crafts with him at home, go to a musium, go see a play. go out to lunch.And maybe go join a pool ,and go swimming. the both of you, spend the day there, 2 or 3 dasys a week. I know your a busy mom . but all moms have to take a little time and spend them with their kids.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:02 AM on Jun. 18, 2010