Is it possible to give yourself an enema when you're 9 months pregnant?

Two weeks before the birth of my last child (by c-section) the doctor told me I'd need an enema the night before the procedure. So I bought a Fleet Ready-To-Use Enema... and then spent an agonizing, confusing couple of hours in the bathroom trying to contort myself every which way to get that darn thing in! I couldn't reach back far enough to get the right angle to try to get it in... at least I think that was the problem. I couldn't really see what I was doing, which didn't help, either. Anyway, after about two hours I came out of the bathroom and my husband said "Did you do it?" and I said "I can't!" and he said NOTHING. I knew he wouldn't want to help (back story: he was raped as a child and is extremely uncomfortable about anything in that area) but is it even POSSIBLE for me to give myself an enema? I'm sure my doctor will want me to get an enema before my next c-section (I'm preggo again) and I don't know what to do. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Health

• Eat a high fiber diet, the last month or so and drink lots of water and I am sure it would do the same.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 11:57 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I can't see why you have to do it yourself. They should be doing it before you go into surgery.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• doctors can't let personal issues get in the way of doing their job. if he's not comfortable doing something that is part of his job he's in the wrong profession
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I would actually like to give myself one before I have my baby too. This hospital doesnt do it. I was worried maybe it wasnt safe. However the delivery could be very embarassing without one. I'm not having a c-section though so I don't know when to do it.
    Anonymous

• Try the same position in which you would insert a tampon, standing in front of the toilet or tub with one foot up on it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I dont understand why you need an enema...
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I was eight and half months prego when I had to have hemerrhoid surgery. I had to give myself an enema, I found that lying on the floor with disposible cloths underneath my bottom was the only way that it was going to work.....good luck.
    Anonymous

• My Doctor never mentioned it to me but I was so nervous I went to the bathroom three times right before the baby was born. If there was a mess in the delivery room during the c-section no one said a word. I didn't here clean up on aisle one! I did here "quick job Doc. His reply, time is money"
    MomaV

Answer by MomaV at 4:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010