I have an active 8 month old baby girl. She likes to pull up on everything. How do I keep her from bumping her head so much? Is this normal? Will it cause her long term damage?

MomaV

Asked by MomaV at 11:52 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As the other moms are saying, this is normal. When our older dd was learnig to walk at 9 months she fell over everything. She couldn't even walk by something with out hitting her head lol. She will be just fine. What I did was went out and bought this rubber safety things for the corners of the furnitures and at the time we were renting a pance with a slab stone fire place. I went even got this rubber stuff in the thick strips from babies r us and put it around that too. We were at the point of getting our dd a helmet and body padding like they use in football lol. Still at 4 she is falling over her own two feet lol and her legs are bruised 24-7.
    hanna06

Answer by hanna06 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• normal, and it won't cause her harm, just a little stress for you!

Just secure things that she pulls herself up to cruise on, so that she doesn't tip anything over, before you know it she'll be walking!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My son is 1 and I still worry about this. I swear he bumps his head more than any other child. Lol and I always wonder if it is somehow gonna cause long term damage. But from what I've heard it is completely normal and won't cause any long term damage, unless of course they have an awful fall and need medical assistance, in which case its not a "normal" bumping of the head. But try not to worry too much and just try to really baby-proof the house, especially things she likes to hold on too.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 12:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Well this must be your first child. LOL I have a 3 year old and a 9 month old. With my first I worried all the time which is completely normal. with my 9 month old I dont worry as much. Just try to relax and enjoy this short time they are little. It will be over before you know it.
    Amanda3232

Answer by Amanda3232 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Just hang in there, you got to remember they have to live and learn. My daughter used to like grabing at everything and knocking it over and laughing even if it was hard and hit her head all the time. And when she hits her head she looks and see who paying attention. And if it was grandma she cries but if its me she gets back up. She is walking now and she falls all the time. I tell her baby go boom, and she gets up and laughs. And i clap my hands and she gets back up most of the time she falls. Unless she wants attention so i give her special attention at times. I think its tuff love but everyone parenting is different.
    Robin910

Answer by Robin910 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2010