Could this make you re-think Egg Donation?

Two teenage children who track down their sperm donor biological father and insist on forging a connection with him. Finally, we have an exploration of how children born from such procedures feel, because in fact it turns out that their feelings about their origins are a lot more complicated than people think.

The study of 18- to 45-year-olds includes 485 who were conceived via sperm donation, 562 adopted as infants, and 563 raised by their biological parents.

The results are surprising. While adoption is often the center of controversy, it turns out that sperm donation raises a host of different but equally complex—and sometimes troubling—issues. Two-thirds of adult donor offspring agree with the statement "My sperm donor is half of who I am." Nearly half are disturbed that money was involved in their conception. More than half say that when they see someone who resembles them, they wonder if they are related.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2010

• People who use sperm donors have the option to receive knowledge and info on their sperm donors, it costs a little more but it is there for the taking.

Answer by older at 12:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I know how bad it sounds but this is the reason I don't think people need to donate eggs or sperm. The results are human beings with complex emotions and thought processes. People think only about the money they are going to be getting or the child they will be getting. Not about the actual consequences.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't donate eggs, but more because of the hormone therapy impact on a woman's body. They have to take some powerful drugs to get their bodies to release eggs on demand, those drugs take their toll. Many women have had complications due to the powerful drugs, and the harvesting of my eggs isn't important enough to put my family through an induced health risk. Besides, I am too old for that now anyhow.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• How is that different than adoption? Money changes hands, most records are sealed unless specified...? I'm not clear on how this differs.
    Anonymous

• Yes! This whole thing doesn't sit right with me.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 12:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• OP here -
    The way it differs from Adoption is: {if you'd bothered to read the link provided}

"Each year an estimated 30,000-60,000 children are born in this country via artificial insemination, but the number is only an educated guess. Neither the fertility industry nor any other entity is required to report on these statistics. The practice is not regulated, and the children's health and well-being are not tracked. In adoption, prospective parents go through a painstaking, systematic review, including home visits and detailed questions about their relationship, finances, and even their sex life. Any red flags, and a couple might not get the child."

cont next

Anonymous

• cont

"With donor conception, the state requires absolutely none of that. Individual clinics and doctors can decide what kinds of questions they want to ask clients who show up at their door. They don't conduct home studies. No contacts are interviewed. If clients can pay their medical bills, most clinics could care less about their finances. The effects of such a system on the people conceived this way have been largely unknown. "

"As a group, the donor offspring in our study are suffering more than those who were adopted: hurting more, feeling more confused, and feeling more isolated from their families. (And our study found that the adoptees on average are struggling more than those raised by their biological parents.)"
    Anonymous

• I personally think it might be easier for the child to rationalize you giving 'them' specifically up for adoption for a better life; vs just selling off parts of yourself.?? I'm not sure exactly what to think of all of this (hence the question); only that I don't think I could personally know there was a piece of me out there.

/OP/
    Anonymous

• A few years ago I read an article about a group of single women who all had used the same sperm donor. They didn't know each other originally, but felt the need for "family" so they tracked each other down. They got together regularly with all their kids. The sperm donor was not interested in participating, but the women said they hoped he would change his mind.

It creeped me out. If they really felt the need for their kids to have "family", perhaps they should have chosen a different route to have children, like a committed relationship and extended family.

I still find that article unsettling. They deliberately choose to have the child of a complete anonymous stranger, and then later expect him to connect with them? What is wrong with this picture?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2010