If a mother is not the "talkative" kind. Will this be a cause for her son to be a late talker?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know about that but I am VERY talkative and my youngest was a late talker. The reason for that was my 2 older kids were always talking FOR him. If I asked him a question they would always answer it, ect..
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Whether you are talkative or not, you should talk to your child as much as possible. I used to take my son to stores and point things out and ask him questions. I started this before he could answer back. I sometimes got weird looks from people, but it definitely payed off. My son is well above average in formimg sentences and using his words. Even if you don't like to talk much to other adults, talk, talk, talk to your son. I always felt that I looked like an idiot, but I focused on my son and blanked out others around me and just acted like he and I were having a full on conversation.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 12:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Well, I talked to my DS a lot and sang songs all the time to him and when I wasn't talking to him, I probably talked on the phone every other waking minute when my son was an infant. I had a headset attached to my cordless phone and spoke to my Mom & Sisters constantly! I talk a lot now too when my Son is eating and Playing. Well, He is now a chatterbox and sometimes will not stop talking for a minute! People crack up when we are out shopping because he even talks to the cashiers. He goes through my entire grocery list from memory when we check out to make sure I didn't forget anything. He's only 3 1/2. So, There may be in fact something to what the OP asked. He sings when he isn't talking too!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2010