At what age did you start your baby on cereal?

I know you are suppose to start foods between 4-6 months, however I am asking when YOU started! Thanks from a curious mommy.

Rebecca727

Asked by Rebecca727 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first one started at 4 months my second started closer to 7 months. I waited with her since I was still breast feeding where as my first was formula fed.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• 5 AND 1/2 MONTHS. They were both so interested in my food at that age. Exclusively breastfed until then.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 12:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I think I will start the next one on veggies first rather than cereal!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 12:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• 4 months per my drs request. I only dod cereal for a week and then went to veggies. He didnt like the cereal :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• 2.5 months. did great loved it! VERY happy baby!!!
    Anonymous

• we tried at 4 months but my son HATES cereal he spit it back at us the first time :( .. so we just never gave it to him =/ we just gave him veggies an he just couldnt get enough of them :)
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 1:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• little after 3 month mark. i was one of the ppl they warn about who put it in his bottle.(just a tap) and then once he was used to it and liked the flavor i put it in a bowl. hell i also put the veggies that he hated into his bottle as well. i would give him peas and he would spit it out so i would put it in his bottle with a little milk until it could flow out the tip, and he would eat his veggies that way. but he ate all the sweeter baby food on a spoon lol
    Anonymous

• I started putting ceral in his bottle at night to help him sleep when he was 2 months and i put it in a bowl when he was about 4 months. he didnt really like the rice ceral but did ok with the oatmel ceral.
    froggiedee

Answer by froggiedee at 1:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Never. The can't digest it, and it just makes poop if you are lucky and it doesn't constipate. It tastes horrible too.

We did table foods at 7 1/2 months. She crawled over, begged, gummed and swallowed. We give fruits and veggies. No jars, no purees, no special preparation methods, no boxed crap like rice puffs. real food mashed lightly if it was a soft fo0d like avocado, sweet potato, potato, butternut squash. Pre-load spoon and handedit over or guided it (if i didn't want a mess). Other things were given in smaller pieces big enough to grab and smoosh. In one month she had developed a good enough pincer grip to self feed bit size pieces very well. We share normal meals. She had 3 bean chili this week -- onions and beans and peppers and all.. She has rejected nothing. not even asparagus, cauliflower, or peas. You name it she has eaten it except for meat, fish, dairy, grains -- we are delaying
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• If you avoid thing that taste bad, and give tasty food and wait until proper physical and digestive maturity you don't have to waste money or bend over backward to trick a baby into eating. They have mechanisms to reject solids for a reason, and people spend an inordinate amount of time trying to bypass this natural failsafe . liquidizing, mixing, hiding, tricking, clapping -- all unnecessary.

Failsafes are: tongue thrust reflex (designed to reject foods that aren't breastmilk or analogue), inability to pick up food or get at food inside fist, inability to move non liquid food to the back of the mouth. Babies should be able to sit up unassisted so food falls forward not back towards the throat, a pincer grip or ability to bring food to mouth, tongue control, and digestive maturity are readiness signals.

The new information now says no solids before 6 months -- this the time when readiness begins
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2010