I was Coerced

I woke up this morning and was "financially coerced" to get my butt out of bed or I dont get paid. I got into the shower and was "emotionally coerced" by society to shave my legs because Im wearing a skirt. I ate a breakfast of cereal which obviously violated my rights because the "Cornflake Predators" at the company ran an ad in a paper when they knew I would be vulnerable and hungry. My kids were hungry too but I told them that all it needs is Love to raise them so should be okay.
I then got into my Ford to go to work when I really should be driving a BMW but financially was coerced not to drive my dream car. I went to my job which is not fair because I should have been a doctor but the college coerced me not to attend by requiring tuition.
My question is who can I complain about all this coercion too? There must be a study from 30 years ago in another country that supports my coercion>

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Adoption

• I did not write this question, but I doubt that the poster is trying to make fun of anyone's loss. She sounds like she is satirizing an intellectual theory. There is a difference between criticizing (or ridiculing) a person and taking issue with (or satirizing) an idea.

I am familiar with the original "financial coercion" post. I think the original poster's adoption experience was horrific. Still, I view her theories as separate from her experience. I think one can have deep sympathy for her loss, but disagree with some of her theories. As you know, I took issue with some of those ideas on the board.

It looks to me as if this Q & A is commenting on the theory and not the individual or her experience. Don't you think?
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 10:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• i dunno, but you should sue someone. that's the American way, ya know

inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 12:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• if you would have been a doctor i bet you could drive that bmw. and you could be eating whatever you want for breakfast.
    Anonymous

• you're very uninformed and sound jealous.
    Anonymous

• out of bedDon't feed the TROLL!

Anonymous

• Do you feed off the injustices of others or do you not believe them to have injustices? The "too bad, so sad" mentality that you display shows a lack of compassion and empathy, which are 2 characteristics that are vital in parenting.
    Anonymous

• Interesting thought process, but until you've walked in my shoes the way we have, lived your life exactly as I have, learned the things I have learned the way I have, experienced the exact pain, heartache, happiness and joys the way I have you can't say you know what coercion means to anyone. My adoption and how I was coerced into a decision 18 years ago (not 30), is uniquely my experience; with the odds stacked against me as young, scared, naive girl, I learned through therapy.
    In my opinion none of the above is coercion or related - you don't drive a BMW because 5 + people you trusted told you over and over you're worthless, incapable, unfit to take care of it, it will make you poor and hopeless, then praising you that you'll be a hero, a blessing and wonderful if you don't buy it and give someone else the opportunity. A women in a position of fear or lacking education because of upbringing is an easy target.
    Anonymous

• OP Here: I do feel the injustices of people but I think at a certain point it is taken too far. There is something called "free-will" and we all have it in America. Statistically I believe less than 1% of all pregnancies go to domestic adoption. How come the other 99% of women are not running to the nearest agency when they (insert scary sound effects here) walk past a poster advertising adoption.  If you are being badgered or lacking common sense or education, or are told you are worthless or threatened in some way, you are being coerced. If you ride a subway that has a poster about adoption, you are not.  Those who were truly coerced should be angry at those who simply wont accept their own actions.   

Compassion and empathy are things my child will be raised with: self pity and blaming everyone but themselves is not.       

Anonymous

• If all it takes to make someone surrender a child is seeing someone else who can do it better, they why doesnt everyone give up their children. No matter how wonderful of a parent you are, there is always someone who can do it better. Every time a Mom hollared at her kid in the supermarket and regreted it later, she would just give the child away because there is a Mom somewhere that would have kept their temper.
    Why stop there... there are single women who probably cook better than me, I should arrange for my husband to leave because my neighbors hand made cherry chocolate cheesecake makes me feel insecure.

If those who throw around the term predator really did have a predator in their life, they wouldnt use a term like that so casually.
    Anonymous

• Wow, what a cowardly, hateful, heartless person you are to make fun of peoples loss, and do it anonymously.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2010