Please help...I have a 6 week old baby with colic, what do I do if changing my diet doesn't help?

I have changed my diet, no dairy, caffeine, or gassy foods. He cries all the time, when he's fed, changed and held. How long am I going to have to go crazy for? Any thing else I can do? Grip water and mylecon drops don't help either!

nthur24

Asked by nthur24 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Colic is one thing you have to ride out, but if I were you I would check it out with his doctor just to make sure it is not something else, hang in there mom, this too shall pass.

Answer by older at 12:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Gripe water! It is all natural and worked wonders for my baby.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My DD had colic for 6 months... I feel your pain, it really is just awful and it makes it very hard to bond with your child when you are so frustrated all the time. I started buying those little light-up toys that make music and change colors. They aren't meant for babies, but they were small enough for a baby to hold and my DD would be so taken by it that she would stop crying. Only for about 5 minutes, but its 5 minutes I didn't have before. I also put her on formula for lactose intolernt babies, it is easier on the tummy, that helped too. GL mama - If nothing else, you need to get someone to watch the baby for a few hours a day so you can get some peace...
    Anonymous

• Eliminate dairy from your diet. I have a question? Was your baby a c-section? My second child was a c-section and although he was breastfed he too developed terrible colic. I went to a chiropractor. He informed me that when a baby is yanked out of the womb, it is quite traumatizing and often jars the neck. He took my then 3 week old son and held him upside down by the feet and I could plainly see how his neck jarred to one side. After two mild pediatric adjustments, the colic was gone. He then held my son up again by his feet, a week later, and I could again plainly see that my son was now in alignment. I know many people do believe in chiropractic health, but after that I swear by it.
    Lovelylise

Answer by Lovelylise at 12:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• There is nothing you can do. I have been there. My daughter had colic until she was about 3 months old. BUT when she got over it, she was the most cheerful, easy going baby ever! I used to carry her most of the day....and put her in a swing...and that was about all I could do. It is something that she grew out of.
    Good luck!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You need to be very careful about taking a baby to a chriopractor,, if you do, make sure you have a solid refferal,,I was wondering if you had tried any formula and see if that helps? I don't advocate you giving up breastfeeding, but if the colic disappears when formula fed, you might consider it,, sometimes in RARE cases a baby is almost allergic to his mother's breast milk,, it is pretty rare, but can happen,, good luck momma, and just for good measure take him to his doc,, he might have an ongoing ear infection or something! Hugs!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• google the happiest baby on the block. method works wonders!!!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 12:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I am a new parent to my 8 month old baby girl. I was afraid of colic with breast feeding too. Thankfully she never got it. I read many books about how there is no known facts but it helps to keep the baby at an incline of 30 degrees when feeding. I never layed her flat until she was finished nursing. I also waited about 20 minutes before I put her down to give the stomach time to settle. Think of it as baby acid reflux or heart burn. I'm sure it feels about the same.
    MomaV

Answer by MomaV at 1:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Here are the things we used to help my DD's crying spells. She liked to be swaddled, she took a pacifier, we put her in the swing or would hold her, while swaddled with the paci in her mouth, on her side and swing our body side to side to rock her. White noise was a big help, too. Our bathroom fan is pretty loud and we spent a lot of time those first few months swinging her side to side in the bathroom until she calmed down. The video Happiest Baby on the Block offered us a lot of good advice as well. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• When does the crying happen? If it's in the evening, then it may be letting off steam at the end of the day. What can help is reducing stimuli later in the day...quiet things down so baby doesn't feel he needs to scream his head off to make the world go away.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2010