How can I get people to stop commenting about how little my 4 year old is?

I sometimes worry about my 4 year old always hearing comments about being so little, as far as height she's still in the average range but a little bit on the lower side - the same goes for her weight. She turned 4 in January, is 38 inches tall and weighs 32 lbs. She's been a petite girl since birth. The doctor said she can still have a significant growth spurt and catch up to her sister's height but she has a small body frame and will probably always be petite. My 5 year old turns 6 in October, she has always been mid-average. She's only 15 months older than her sister but is more than 4 inches taller and exactly 10 lbs heavier.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't be too overly concerned unless your doctors are concerned. My daughter turned 4 December 1st and she is only 30 lbs. and 36 in. tall. Her peers tower over her, and she has had a very difficult start at life but has overcome every expectation the doctors have given her. She is just a very petite little girl. Children and people come in various sizes, even adults I know are VERY small, or VERY large.. My daughter is smaller than yours even! =). As long as she's eating and healthy no need to worry! I also have a 9 month old baby girl who is already 20 lbs, she is going to be catching up and passing her sister very soon too!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• i would get her a shirt made that says YES I KNOW IM SMALL! SO WHAT?
    Anonymous

• I dont think it will affect her if people say she is small. She may as well grow up hearing it. I am short and people still say things like "how can you balance on those feet" or "Are you a midget" Being told you are tiny for a girl is not a bad thing. You cant control what other people say but she can decide how she feels about her size.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Maybe get a T-shirt that says Small but Mighty? LOL,, I D K--how to get people to stop making comments,,but I would just say yes she is and brush it off,, People don't realize what they say!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I would come up with something to say, like "isn't it great that people come in all shapes and sizes?" or "good things come in small packages" or something like that. Something to let people know, and your daughter know, that you are all ok with her being her tiny self. I understand where you are coming from, while you are old enough to know that her size is ok, you don't want her hearing about it constantly and thinking there is something wrong with her.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• your 5 year old weighs the same as mine.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My daughter has a growth hormone defiency so she's heard "you're such a peanut!" her whole life (she's 13 now and just finally hit 60lbs). To be honest, you can't stop the comments. People are going to say things. It's how you and she reacts to it that will matter. My DD had a hard time of it in elementary school with some comments like shrimp, midget etc but now she embraces her size. She loves to say things like "I'm not short, I'm fun size" or "good things come in small packages". Those make her feel more empowered and help her accept it. Even now, she gets asked in the store if she's in 3rd or 4th grade (She'll be in 8th next year) and she just shrugs and says "It's ok. I get that a lot." Raise her to know her size is wonderful and an asset in some areas. For example, my DD is a "flyer" in cheerleading...that's the one they flip around in the air. Being small in cheer or gymnastics is GOOD. Maybe enroll her in one of those
    Anonymous

• There is no way to stop other people's comments. The only thing you can do is frame your response to them so that your daughter doesn't get a complex. Answer as if it is a compliment, "Yes, isn't she lovely and petite?" etc.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I have the same issue, except the opposite, my son is so big people say rude things, when he four, this lady kept asking me if I was sure he was only 4, its annoying!! Just tell people the comments bother you, you only have to tell off a few people then, others usally convey it for you.
    Anonymous

• There is no way to stop that. I have tried. My daughter will be 5 in December and she wears 2t pants and 4t shirts she also wears size 8 shoes. Everything thing about her lower half says she is 2 her top half says she is 4. That is mostly what people comment on is how disproportionate she is. Her adult height is projected at 4'9". She is being taught to live in a world that is bigger than she is. She has been small her whole life. At 7 months she weighed 11 pounds and was wearing 0-3 months clothes.
    Anonymous