I live in an apt and I have an 18 month old great dane. We keep him in the pation outside...we have notice his hair on his elbows is gone and has some small patches of hair missing. Is this a sign we need to bring him inside? Also, does anyone know of good bedding where he wont tear apart and is able to wash?

Need some Great Dane Help!!!

jenny0906

Asked by jenny0906 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Pets

• I don't think an apartment is the right place for a dog of that size... I would re-home him
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• his hair is gone from laying on his elbows on the concrete. peanuts is right, they dont make good apartment dogs at all. they really need atleast a yard. a young dog like that should have room to run and play.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Well I have friends that have Danes in apt life. There's enough space and take him walks all the time and let him run around an open field.
    jenny0906

Answer by jenny0906 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You make a great dane live on a patio?? Rehome him please, so he can be happy.
    Anonymous

• i do not think you should have him in an apartment. he needs more room to run and play. if you love him then you will re-home him to someone that can give him a better life. the loss of hair is because he is stressed out and bored. bringing him in will not change that. he needs to run and play. sorry to have to tell you this stuff. but seriously you need to re- home him right away.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 12:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• He needs a good bed to lay on,,Petco has some on sale with covers that you can wash,, if he is missing hair from his sides, he could have thyroid disorder,,but sounds like the concrete is rubbing off his hair,, I would bring him in esp.. when it is hot or cold,, a patio all day seems kind of dismal,, no offense, I am sure you love your dog, but dogs that size need room to run,,if your not able to take him for exercise 3 or 4 times a day you might consider re homing him!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• We could never let him go! He doesnt stay outside permantly. we live in a fairly large apt. the patio is bigger than you think. he has had beds and blankets...but tears them apart. All i ask is if anyone knows a good bed for him I can get.
    jenny0906

Answer by jenny0906 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Thanks for everyones advice.
    jenny0906

Answer by jenny0906 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• i'm surprised you are allowed to have a great dane in an apt. those dogs are way too big for indoor life.
    Anonymous

• the reason he is tearing apart his bedding is because he is bored.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 12:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2010