I want to lie about my age on my resume. Would I get in trouble if I do this?

I am 27 and just graduated with a Bachelors degree in Psychology, and a minor in Biology. I went to Hunter College in New York. It took me 9 years to get my degree because I changed majors three times. I used to major in accounting and really hated it. I have 2 years of experience working part-time in a neuroscience lab, I started working there at 25. I conducted experiments on stress and memory in rats. When I was 21, I worked for one year as a clerical/administrative assistant at the Accounting department. Right now, I am looking for a full-time position as a research technician. I already have my Bachelors and experience working in a lab, but I'm afraid that nobody will hire me because I graduated at 27. I will be competing against 22 year olds. Can I just lie on my resume and say that I am 22 or 23?

P.S. My overall undergrad GPA was 2.6. I failed many accounting and math courses. However, my GPA in psychology was 3.7

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't think you can "get in trouble" BUT they will want your ID when you get hired and you could lose a job for lying.
    Anonymous

• You would lose the job once you present your ID upon accepting the position. Most employers would rather hire a mature 27 year old than a flakey 23 year old any way. I got my teacher certification at 28 and got the job quickly over the 22 year olds that were fresh out of college.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Why on earth would it matter? I don't think a company worth working for would mind hiring someone 27 instead of 22... it's only 5 years, and that's 5 years less you'll be making off them for retirement, don't see why that'd be a problem.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Yes, as part of yur I-9 they'll require ID and know that you lied. You might not get fired, but it certainly won't look good. You don't want to start a new job trying to explain why you lied especially in a job like a research tech which requires you not to fudge things.
    Anonymous

• You will lose all credibility with an employer though once they run a background check on you and discover the truth.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 12:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• What's wrong with being 27? I will be 26 when I graduate. I took three years off of school because I was getting married and having babies. If anything you've shown peserverance. My guess is that you're a mom too! Don't worry about your age!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• They will need a copy of your drivers license when you get hired,, honestly I think it is a benefit to you to be older--unless the postion in question is supermodel,LOL! My company hires older people who graduated, just for their life experience
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I'd have to agree. Lying about your age would look bad when they hired you and looked at your ids and such while filling out the necessary paperwork for employment, taxes and insurance.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 1:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You don't put your age on a resume, ever. Don't lie on an application, you will have to show your drives license.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• The worst thing anyone can do is lie on an application or resume. That will only hurt you.
    My neighbor divorced after 25 years of marriage and was a stay-at-home-mom the whole time.
    She went back to school (nights), got her degree, and is now teaching at an elementary school.
    She applied at two schools. The first one hired her before she had a chance to interview at the other school.
    BTW - She was hired at age 59! Your age should be the least of your worries. Good luck! :-)
    Laurie3200

Answer by Laurie3200 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2010