how do you get a 2 and a half year old to sit on the potty?

she was doing great until I fully started doing it every 15 minutes. now she wont sit on it, she just screams now. any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Super Glue? LOL--she is over it,, and I know for some reason this is a HOT topic,, but honestly why not wait until she is ready? It probably won't be too much longer--and I would read her a book about using the potty,, 15 minutes is pretty excessive,, why not just wait,, no one graduates high school without being potty trained,, LOL Good luck momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• i dunno maybe its too much. my ped said about every 30-45 minutes. no matter how many times i put mine on, he will hold it until i put a diaper on (around naptime) and then let go in the diaper and then take it back off!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Does she have her own potty?? My DD is 3 and can go pee but not poop on the potty. I started at about 2 1/2. She would do the NOOO and screaming as well. It is not easy. Just keep trying and give her time....Good Luck! She will get it!
    MayMommy07

Answer by MayMommy07 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Candy. Look. I don't care what anyone says. Candy works. Yeah blah blah bribes are bad, he'll have to have candy to poop the rest of his life...whatever. Candy works. Kids like incentives and rewards. He gets a couple of M&M's for success, and just one for trying. Also, we do the success chart with stickers and when he's got ten stickers we go to the local bouncy house place.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't take her every 15 minutes, of course she doesn't want to go! This is the method we used:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/4235060/3_Day_Potty_Training_Post

You switch straight to underwear and stay home for a few days until you're done! It's great because instead of taking them often and making them sit, hoping that something will come out, the idea is that you move them to the potty ONLY WHEN they start peeing or pooping, or if they say they need to go. That way the potty is not a prison or time-out that interrupts her fun all day long, but becomes a way to avoid those yucky messes that she won't like.
    Anonymous

• I would back off a little try every 30 to 40 min thats id what we r doing with my daughter and some times we wait an hr but I started every 15 min to and my daughter justed getting to were she did want to go any more so I backed off a little and she started going again shes only 19 mths and yesterday she only had 1 accident O and mm do work great my daughter will lead me to the potty just for an mm even when she dosnt have to go.
    Anonymous

• We used to put our potty in front of the TV. That was the only way we could get our kids to sit on it at first. Of course when you have guests over here comes the kid dragging the potty in front of the TV.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 5:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2010