I want to know about the birth control shot.......anyone have first hand exprieance?

I want to know more about the birth control shot. I dont like shots but i think it will be best for me cuz i cant remember to take pills daily and i dont want something that last 3 or more yr. We want more kids just not sure when and want to wait atlest a yr. Anyone have any first hand experieance?

nikkik526

Asked by nikkik526 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• All I know is that I had the shot after I had my first son and I bled for 6 months straight.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• From what I know about the depo shot everyone reacts differently to it. You have to do it once in order to know how you are going to react. Like the previous poster, I too bled for 3 months straight. My husband joked that the constant bleeding was the real birth control. My sister also got the shot. She bled heavily for a week or so and then did not get another period the whole time she was on the shot. I would have loved to have her reaction but since I did not, I did not get the shot again. Good Luck with it!
    ErinRenee815

Answer by ErinRenee815 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I got the shot for a long time. It caused me to gain weight and made me really moody. I also bleed for months at a time, with no explanation other than the shot was causing it. I too want to have children in a few years. But after talking to my doctor about it I decided to get an IUD which I love. It only took one visit to the doctor to get it and it wasn't too painful. Also it can removed just as easily as it was inserted I got the paraguard copper 10 year IUD. But even though it will last 10 years it can be removed in one visit to the doctor and you will return to full fertility immediately. I would recommend it to anyone who wants more children but not right now. Hope I could be of help.
    Anonymous

• i was on it for a while. my periods came to a complete hault after 3 months. i didnt have the constant bleeding, but i did gain 30 lbs!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I am anon :09 I didn't mean to click the box :)
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I was fine for the first 8 months or so. I had no weight gain or mood swings. Then I got pregnant! That was not the side effect I was prepared for!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• i had it for 4 yrs. I gained 50 lbs in that time. I did not bleed at all and now i'm having a hard time ttc
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• i did lose 30 lbs btw..i just got 20 more to go =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I would also like to add that i did notice thinning in my hair and my lower back and hips ache all the time.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I had it for a year.. I never had a period that entire year which was awesome.. But I also gained 60 pounds.. Not awesome..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 1:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2010