do you know what carmine is?

or Castoreum?

Asked by lovinangels at 1:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yeah, there is a certain level of allowable bugs in everything that we eat. I try very hard not to think of that, otherwise I wouldn't be able to eat anything. THANKS, lovin! I appreciate your help in trying to keep me on my diet!! :)

Answer by 29again at 2:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Um...yeah. Why?

• Because it's disgusting to think people are eating crushed and boiled bugs and beavers anal glands and probably don't know it.

Answer by lovinangels at 2:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Carmine is a red dye or food coloring. I believe it is commonly known as "Red #40."

I had to look up castoreum--ewww!  LOL

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• That's disgusting. Gotta know though that a lot of people don't really care to find out what they are eating or what it does to them sadly.

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Okay...don't read the following on a full stomach! This article will be quite helpful in achieving your dieting goals! LOL

"It's been estimated by an Ohio University fact sheet that we actually eat 1 to 2 pounds of insects each year, unintentionally. In every 18-ounce jar of peanut butter, there can be as many as 150 insect fragments and five rodent hairs. A typical chocolate bar could have as many as 36 insect fragments and about half a rodent hair and still be sold in supermarkets. An average of 225 or more insect fragments and 4.5 rodent hairs per 225 grams in an 8-oz serving of pasta. A 2-pound bag of wheat flour can have as many as 1,344 insect fragments and 18 rodent hairs!"

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Yeah, but carmine is actually made of bugs! Ewwwww! And its in my lipstick!

Answer by lovinangels at 2:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• No wonder my son has a flippin' crazy reaction to RED DYE #40 . LOL

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Castoreum is also used in small amounts to contribute to the flavor and odor of cigarettes

One more reason for people to quit smoking.  Unless, of course, you prefer the taste of flaming beaver ass. 

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Well its good to know then that some bugs aren't bad for you :) In many parts of the world they eat bugs as delicacies, and they can actually be healthy. So at least that's good to know about the bugs in everything lol. I don't freak out about things like that too much, just really don't like food colorings. I don't think they are in any way healthy.

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2010