Reducing the nation's sodium intake (also posted in just for fun)

Reducing the nation's salt intake
I saw this article online this morning and figured I'd see what you guys thought. The average american eats about 3000-4000 mg of sodium per day, when the actual maximum should be 1500-2000 mg. Many companies are now going to begin slowly reducing the amount of sodium in their foods. As a person who is on a low sodium diet by necessity, I can honestly say many American's don't know HOW to eat a low sodium diet. They don't recognize which food contain excessive amounts of sodium or how to cook tasty low sodium meals. My questions are:

1. Are you concerned about the amount of sodium you and your family eats?
2. What do you think of companies reducing the amount of sodium in their foods? Do you think it will influence you buying the product because the taste will change?

Article link is below

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 2:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We don't each much salt. If you cut it out of your diet, you can season and enhance food with other, more healthy spices. After a while, salty foods start to taste bad, just like too-sugary foods start to taste bad.

My worries are that companies will come up with something even worse to replace salt.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 3:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• While I completely agree that we generally eat too much salt, I don't think it is the government's responsibility to tell us or the food manufacturers how much we can/should eat, or how much can be in the food. I went through I time where I craved salt, more than anything else, ever. I would eat a whole bag of potato chips every single night, without even thinking about it. I was not even really aware, thinking of the fact that I was buying a bag of chips every night, it was like the chips just jumped into my arms! I later found out, by going to the doc for a totally different problem, that I had an extremely over-active thyroid. Once THAT was corrected, I didn't eat ANY chips for at least a year, and when that craving came back, yep, it was the thyroid starting back up. So, I got nuked again. And once again, I eat chips once in a while. And never the whole bag!

Anyway, I don't want the gov't in my kitchen, at all!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• We have started to eat vegetables and fruits. Working on giving up packaged foods it helps in the weight loss as well. Its hard but worth it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I am on a low sodium diet, and i find it very hard to find anything other than fresh fruits and veggies and fresh meats that are not loaded with sodium. It comes from places people don't even expect. Baked goods, canned veggies, and then the usual culprits like seasoned box dinners, soups, sauces, etc. It's VERY hard to shop on a low sodium diet even though I make everything from scratch. I hope this takes effect because I'm sorry but nobody needs 45% of the recommended daily allowance of sodium in ONE serving of food that is ridiculous.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I see your point, April, and I agree that this needs to change. I just don't think it is place of the government to mandate it. One thing that might help is to keep the price of the lower- and no-sodium foods at the same cost as the regular food. I have noticed that if there is a version of something that is lower or reduced or no (fat, sodium, sugar, whatever) it is way more money than the original version. Same with organic. (It really ticks me off that the organic veggies & fruits are so much more expensive.) There are a lot of foods (pre-packaged) that I don't buy, because they just taste too salty. I try to do a lot from scratch, myself, because it is cheaper and better.

I would like to see this take effect, too, but because the manufacturers WANT to, not because they are FORCED to.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• The Government responsibility Is not to tell me what I can eat or not!!!!!!

THIS A GOOD WAY TO SHOW HOW WE ARE LOSING OUR FREEDOMS.

My grandmother lived till she was 97 years old and she loved salt. Never had a heart attack.
    And my parents all had salt (a lot) they both never had a heart attack and both died in their 80's.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 5:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Yes, 29again that would be the perfect solution, to allow ME to be able to afford to feed my family the healthy foods I want them to have. If they made low sodium versions at the same cost, that would be perfect, then everyone could have what they want. However, I have to spend 2-3 times as much for the lower sodium or lower fat version of a food and that is not right. I do not think that it should cost MORE to make a healthy choice. If anything it should cost more to make the unhealthy choice, but then again I'm not for that either really. I just wish people knew or wanted to know the very very unhealthy things excess sodium does to your body :(
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I just bought canned tuna labeled very low sodium,and I am happy. I need to reduce my salt intake to try to keep my blood pressure lower. So many people need to recognize the fact that salt can be so bad for SOME people. And they refuse to believe...they salt everything and make fun of those who know therisks of too much salt.......so, these are the people who need to be avised or 'taken care of' because they can't take care of themselves. It is sad,,,but true.
    Anonymous

• I heard an interesting trivia fact today. The nanny state which brought us the "meat wars" was based on faulty, incomplete science following Eisenhower's heart attack on the golf course. We, as Americans do, had a knee jerk reaction and began the long road to the "nanny-nutrition state" we are today. All because a former president had a heart attack. Hot damn!!!

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2010