is an hour too long

In the cornor for a 6 year old and a 10 year old, I always forget what time I put them in there so I round it off to an hour.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe a little too long, but if they are constantly being put in the corner for the same reason, then you should probably try a different tactic
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Yes! An hour is ridiculous!

Anonymous

• wow. yeah. waaaay too long. most parenting experts recommend one minute per year of age followed by a sincere apology and discussion...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• i agree with figaro8895, that is what I do with my 2.5 daughter.
    Anonymous

• Uhhh yeah way too long... one minute per year of age.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Personally, I don't believe in putting a child in a corner. I think you can discipline them without shaming them or breaking their spirit, and I certainly wouldn't put them in a corner if I can't remember I put them there!

I say a time out spot of one minute for every year old they are is sufficient.

We call them think about its
    I don't believe in a forced I'm sorry either. I ask them why they are in time out and what a better choice would have been.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• An hour is completely ridiculous. Anything more than 10 minutes is just cruel and ineffective.
    Anonymous

• it's a little excessive. I *try* to limit it two about 5 minutes, (my oldest is 6) that's if he can stay in the corner or behave in the corner long enough to make it through the 5 minutes. For us tho, we send him to his room to sit on his bed. Toys are in a playroom, beds just in bedroom. I admit I have forgotten him once, and after 30 minutes he stuck his head out and asked if he could come out, he was soooo quiet in there that I thought he'd fallen asleep..lol.
    Jessica_5

Answer by Jessica_5 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2010