can babies lose their "voice"?

my girl is almost 7 weeks and last night i let her cry so i could do somethings and her mouth became dry, now when she even makes littke noices it sounds like she lost her voice like a adult would. anyone know anything?

genuinely_real

Asked by genuinely_real at 1:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How long did she cry for?! I've never heard of this happening before, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen.
    I have no problem with letting a baby cry, but please make sure not to let her cry for too long, and also to make sure that she's got a clean diaper, fed, and doesn't have any bubbles that need to come up before leaving her to do so.
    Cheryn

Answer by Cheryn at 1:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2008

• it was like 5 minutes or so. she was fine just being fussy. that would be something to find out though.
    genuinely_real

Answer by genuinely_real at 1:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2008

• Yes! My DD doesn't have to cry long, but the way she cries....she SCREAMS and she loses her voice. It's sad but so cute at the same time. It's nothing to worry about, but as the PP said, I wouldn't leave her to cry too long she's still very young.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2008

• Yes they can but in 5 mins I dunno.. My bosses daughter lost her voice when she was about 2-3 months but she had a yucky cold :(
    Banani263

Answer by Banani263 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2008

• yeah i just got over a cold so im wondering if she is getting one. it is kind of cute. this is my first baby so anything i just wonder if its ok.
    genuinely_real

Answer by genuinely_real at 2:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2008

• My son cried for 15 hours straight one day. (acid reflux pains) I had this same exact question! lol I thought for sure after the first 6 hours he was going to just lose his voice but he never did. I always wondered if it was possible......guess I just drew the short stick that day.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 4:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2008

• Take her to the doctor,

Im not going to give u medical advice, On an infant this young, ...its too touchy you know?

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 4:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2008

• When my little sister was 6 months old, she learned how to "growl" at the dogs... She did it so much that, yes, she lost her voice. I've never heard of a baby losing its voice after crying for that short of a time, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible, I suppose... I would definitely talk to her pediatrician. She's too small to take any chances. I hope she feels better soon & congrats on the little one!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 5:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2008

• Yeah she can, my lost his when he was couple months
    Jade89

Answer by Jade89 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2008

• thanks for all the help everyone.
    genuinely_real

Answer by genuinely_real at 12:25 AM on Sep. 28, 2008