Will this prevent my DH from becoming a police officer?

My DH wants to become a PO, but he has some sketchy things in his past... We've looked at all the posted requirements for our city PD, and in our town, as opposed to other cities and states we've checked into, does not list many things that will prevent you from becoming an officer, such as past drug use. Our town is a little more lax in that area, we've noticed. BUT, DH did some drugs in his teens and early, early 20s (stopped when he was 21). He sold pot a couple times to friends, too... But that was five years ago. And he's been clean since then. He even has cut out all the people from his life, including family, that still uses drugs, because he is adamently opposed to it now. So, I'm wondering if anybody knows if just the simple fact that he DID do those things will disqualify him completely? Or if they look past things when the person has turned their life around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i would think as long as he doesnt have any felony charges he would be fine..
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I don't think he is going to have too much luck, but you never know.
    Anonymous

• Was he busted for doing any of this stuff? If not, just pray that the person that does the background check doesn't dig too deep and find someone willing to talk.
    Anonymous

• If he has not been in trouble got arrested , he should not have a problem.

Answer by louise2 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I could be wrong, but I THINK background checks only include arrest records/court appearances. Maybe it's different with police officers, and they'll likely require regular drug tests--including pre-employment testing.

I know that when I applied to become a SUBSTITUTE teacher a yer ago, I had to list EVERYONE that I had resided with since 1975!!! I would have been 6 years old--and I had to include my parents, grandparents, college roommates, ex-boyfriends, etc. I guess they wanted to determine if I associated with people of "questionable" character. I was thinking, how am I responsible for how people I knew turned out?! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• i wouldnt think they would only want "straight laced" people on the police force. you would think they would want some people with experience in "things" who know what the hell they are doing. who knows.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• OP - He was only arrested once for possession of a tiny amount of pot - but it got erased from his record after he completed drug treatment classes. But, as far as the background check, they DO ask for things OTHER than what you were arrested for - they specifically ask the question, "Have you ever sold drugs?". And they do lie detectors on these questions. So he HAS to be honest about it - I just don't know if him being honest about it will eventually disqualify him... I don't know if a "yes" answer will immediately bar him from the profession.
    Anonymous

• I would say he should be completely honest. If it disqualifies him then move on but if it means that he gets the job then that is very good. I would think that they would want someone who is honest about their past. It may mean they will pop a drug test on him more often..but so what..if he is over that? Or it may mean he wont be able to work in certain cases that they will watch him more closely. I think it would be a good thing though..i think they would want to use someone like your dh to put away all the scum on the street.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I don't think he is going to stand a chance. The drug treatment class alone is enough for them to turn him away. They know why he took that class even if it isn't on his record and he is going to have to tell the truth about selling drugs. Sorry, but it doesn't sound too good:(
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon :38....I don't think that his past is going to put him in a good standing with being recruited. If they only checked his records and did not ask about anything not on record, then he would be fine, but like you said, he can't lie and they most likely will not hire someone who sold or provided drugs at any time in their life.
    BUT, it would not hurt to try, so tell him to keep his chin up, be honest and modest, have some great references on hand to his recent lifestyle, and have faith that something positive will happen.
    I wish you both well.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2010