My son is almost 18 months and still does not sleep at night?

I love my son but i have absolutley no patience left because i am getting no sleep. I have tried everything let him cry, let him not cry, fed him alot at night. I don't know what else to do. The only time he sleeps through the night is when i sleep on the couch with him. Which i don't like to do, i really don't want that to become a habit and i don't sleep well. I don't know what else to do. I unfortunately don't want to have any more children because of how badly he sleeps. I guess this isn't a question more of a chance to vent.

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• My oldest is almost 10, and he still doesn't sleep through the night! But when he was 2ish I finally got him to the point where I didn't have to get up in the night with him every time he got up. Teach him how to self-soothe and get himself back to sleep when he wakes. There are a lot of books out there with techniques that you can try. Two that I can recommend that helped a lot were The No Cry Sleep Solution and The Baby Sleep Book: The Complete Guide to a Good Night's Rest for the Whole Family. Some kids are just harder to instill good sleep habits than others.

Don't despair about later kids though. I have 4 and all my younger kids slept through the night really young.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My niece is two and still doesn't sleep through the night. She wakes up a couple of times at night. I know this because she and my SIL are staying in the same room as us (they're visiting). I'd go insane too! I wake up enough at night as it is because I'm a light sleeper.
    Anonymous

• my son is 2-1/2 and still doesn't sleep through the night- I've resorted to natural sleep aides as I tried it all too and we went in to endless battles for months that didn't go anywhere and the only time he'd sleep is when I was in his bed... and I didn't want to do that forever either...-email me and I will tell you the one's I've tried - they are all natural and homeopathic -one is made by the brand who makes the teething tablets.. I am on day # 3 of him sleeping through the night.. but don't want to jinx anything yet..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My son is almost 2 and still doesn't sleep through the night either. If he doesn't stop crying after a couple minutes I change his diaper and give him a few more oz of water (in a bottle). I have an 8 month old that I can't have being woke up by letting him lay there and cry. And with a baby the battle with a bottle just wasn't worth it. My nephew was 4 before he started sleeping without waking at night. i think it's more common than people let on.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Sounds like your having a really rough go of it for sure. I only had my 4 up in the middle of night if they were ill or teething really bad. I was very fortunate I guess. The worst thing that took all my energy was colic. all 4 had colic and were allergic to milk,formula you name it. Thank goodness it was all settled before I totally lost my marbles. Like the above stated you have to teach to self soothe-easy to say to do it and very hard to accomplish.Once you do-you'll have a totally wonderful sleep and just wonder what you were having such a hard time with .(hey a good thought right?)Do you have a routine for bedtime? It lets him know it's time to settle down and get tired . I would let my children read with me and then they were covered up and hugged/kissed goodnight and as they got older (5 and under) they got where they'd have books they wanted to read theirselves. good luck !
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 12:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2010