dying hair while pregnant

i really want to dye my hair right now. i'm 22wks pregnant... i went into the store the other day and the lady told me that they won't do it though because i am pregnant and the hormones can mess it up. either not take the color or take it too much and fry my hair... has this happened to anyone else? has anyone had an absolute horror story from this occuring?

DDTSMommy

Asked by DDTSMommy at 2:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I never got my hair dyed while pregnant, but I was told by the lady that does my hair that it might not turn out the way I wanted it to if I would have. It can even happen up to six months after the baby is born. Your hormones in your body are all over the place right now, so you have no way of knowing how the hair dye will hold on your hair. It can either not hold at all, or it can be really extreme and ruin your hair. Now i do know some people who have dyed during pregnancy, with no problems at all. It is all a risk! lol.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• haha I never heard of that.. Im 32 weeks pregnant and dyed my hair 3 times since I been pregnant, I even asked my doctor before I did it and he said it would be fine. Just get a box and dye it yourself.
    Anonymous

• four kids, highlighted, dyed, low lights, everything, I didn't in 1st trimester with the first 3, because they were still saying it could be unsafe for the baby, but now they say it's fine as long as it's a ventilated area. Most salons are. Wouldn't suggest a perm, because of those reasons. But I've never had any problems with color during pregnancy.
    Jessica_5

Answer by Jessica_5 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I dyed my hair while I was pregnant with my son and my doctor told me it was total safe but said my hair or may not take it and it didn't.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You can dye your hair when pregnant, although pending on your Doctor it may not be advisable. Hair coloring has ammonia in it and it's not healthy for you or the baby. However pending on the type of hair colorign you use, some may be healthier than others. PM me for more details.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I've always heard it was safe, but I used herbal dyes anyway (I like Herbatint)...it's just vegetable based dye, no ammonia or other harsh chemicals, it leaves my hair super soft and its permanent
    vileincarnation

Answer by vileincarnation at 5:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I never heard of that. I dyed my hair while pregnant, and never had a problem. I have heard that getting a perm while pregnant is not advisable, because it may not take.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 7:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I dyed my hair when I was??? mmmm... 5 months I was told by my OB/gyn, midwife, and hairstylist that as long as I was in a well ventilated room It would be OK. I dyed it and my son came out OK.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2010