Can i go right to stage 2 baby food?

my son is 5 months and will be six months in a couple weeks. his rice ceral is already kind of thick, so would it be ok if i go right to stage 2 foods?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absolutely! I never even used the baby food (except for occasionally). I made my own and homemade is chunkier and thicker than any baby food I have ever bought. The kids were fine with it and never had a problem.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• The only problem with stage 2 foods is that sometimes they have 2 different items mixed together. If the child hasn't been introduced to these foods on their own and has a reaction to them it makes it harder to pinpoint that reaction and reactions can get worse each time the allergen is introduced again.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 3:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My guy is 5 months will be 6 at the end of this month. He is already on stage 2 baby foods. We actually just introduced baby turkey to him and he LOVES it
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 3:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Just do table food! Cheapeer and tastier. Fruits and veggies from your plate. No special preparation needed other that for mashing or cutting.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Stage 2 isnt much thicker than stage one. The difference is stage 2 mixes items. U should make sure he hes had each item before mixing them that way if he has a reaction to one, youll know what it was to :) I moved my son to stage 2 at 5 months cause he sat un assister and was army crawling. He could fully crawl byn 6 months so developmentally he was ready.
    Anonymous

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breast milk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. Two fantastic books on feeding babies, with slightly differing philosophies are Baby Led Weaning and Super Baby Food. Check them out of the library. Both websites have great information: www.babyledweaning.com www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 4:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2010