How do I stop my 3 year olds attitude towards me?

I have had such a hard time with trying to get my sweet little girl back. She had such good maners and now it is gone, does this happen when they are 3 and than returns to normal? hahah . I could use some advice.

jencantrell

Asked by jencantrell at 3:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm going through the same thing. My 3 year old DD is the SAME WAY. She used to listen and be sweet and now she's like having meltdowns all the time...I don't know what to do either :(
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• i chose to ignore my lil angel when her horns come out i let her go to another room throw her fit and i act like i dont notice a thing in about five minutes all is fine and we go about our way til the next time. which isnt far behind
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It's difficult to provide an answer without specific examples of behavior, but in general, for a young child,  it's best to distract or substitute the negative behavior with one that is acceptable. For example, if a your child writes on the walls it's best to say, "The walls are not for writing, but here is a piece of paper and you can write on this." If your daughter hits say firmly while holding her hands, "Hitting hurts." Take her over to a stuffed pillow and say, "You can't hit your sister / the cat but you can hit this." If you do this consistently, over a period of time,  you will see progress.  The approach for an older child would be different.

www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 9:56 AM on Jun. 17, 2010