What would you do if your child acted this way?

I was feeding my two year old son eggs and mashed potatoes(something he usually loves) so I made it for him. Last night we had pizza but ran out of leftovers so now when I try to feed him anything else, he screams and cries "PIIIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" and kicked the kitchen table really hard. I took him out of his chair and sat him down in the room and told him to be quiet. Well, his granparents, grab my son and thought I was being too hard. I don't think so. Had I done this growing up, my parents would have spanked me. I didn't spank him or anything. He's 2 years old btw. Opinions?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• my inlaws were doing this until i made my hubby tell them that they need to leave my kids alone when were disipilining them. now my in laws leave them alone. they also do help me when my son gets an attutde with me.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 3:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I think you did nothing wrong. Cetain behaviors are just not acceptable and I applaude you for showing restraint from spanking him. Personally, in my son's entire life (he's 20 yrs. old now) I only spanked him twice. Once when He was 3 and then once when he was 4. Let my just say that that was all it took. He never acted in such a manner again and I never ever had to spank him again. I think kids know they can push our buttons and get away with things. They need direction and it is a parents responsibility to do just that. I understand not everyone agrees with spanking which is fine as well. I just think that there should be a consequence for every negative action and you did good in sitting your son down and having him be quiet. In no way shape or form was that out of the question to do. Oh and by the way....things do get easier as they grow up :)
    Billys_Mom

Answer by Billys_Mom at 3:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• That sound like normal toddler behavior. They always want what you don't have. You did right by giving him a time out if he got very sassy and uncontrollable. Especially if he would not accept anything else. His Grandparents should butt out. It's easy for them because they can come & go as they please, but you are there 24/7. I think you should talk to them and say that this is the way you are raising your child and they have to respect that and not get involved. Ask them next time to leave the room if they don't like it. I find that my DS acts out more when he has an audience too like Grandma & Grandpa. Maybe feed him before they get there or ask them to come when he is done with his meal. This is another stage we all go through so hang in there!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It's funny how grandparents are. My dad won't smoke in the house when my son is there, but it didn't bother him and my mom to smoke around us kids. I see nothing wrong with what you did. I don't think granparents think about what they would have done if you did that, I think they think of it more as their precious grandchild shouldn't get yelled at. I would probably just tell them that if you let him get away with this behavior, he's going to continue to do it. I usually give my son a couple choices of what he wants for dinner. If he wants something we don't have I will say "it's this, this, or nothing." He will usually pick one of the options or he can have something healthy (Like fruit or veggies).
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• That's a very annoying situation! You are dealing with enough just trying to raise a respectful child. It's not easy work, and they are just making it harder for you. I think you have to tell them how you feel about the situation and ask that they stand aside when you are setting boundaries for your children.
    ErinRenee815

Answer by ErinRenee815 at 9:18 AM on Jun. 17, 2010