In College - switching majors (sorry so long)

I'm go to a community college. Well, there are a whole network of CC's in my area - I currently go to the largest one. I'm going for my Communications degree (I eventually want to transfer to a 4-year) - I want to do Public Relations.
Well, I DID. I still do kind of. But another one of these CC offers a Culinary Arts degree (and also a Baking and Pastry degree - which I cannot even TALK about.)
Since I've been telling my family about it, everyone keeps asking what I'd do with it. Work in a restaurant, of course (or open my own business - because it's just that easy! lmao) Everyone is pushing Public Relations - but I'm unsure now. I think the Culinary Arts thing sound fun (challenging and hard-work but fun) and I enjoy cooking.
I guess my question is - does it sound like a good idea? Does anyone work in either field??

Blubuni99

Asked by Blubuni99 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I do not work in either field. But from life experience, do what makes you happy. Also look at what the job availability is and long term stability. Is one more realistic than the other where you live? I didn't go to a CC, but do they have advisors like a university? They should help you find some info or steer you in that direction. What led to your change of heart too? Try to look at all the pros and cons, and reasonings behind it. Then make a decision.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My minor is Communication but I plan to teach it. Honestly, I don't see where you would go with a degree in baking. Maybe after you do you Communication thing you can just take some classes at the other school. Just for fun. I've taken several just for fun classes and really liked them.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I like to write and Public Relations, ect is a very writing heavy job. It's journalist and very business-like. LOL. But I think I'm tired of writing right now - and I don't know if I want to spend my life writing like that. I enjoy it - I don't know if I want to make it my job.

The Culinary Arts degree - I'm not sure what I could do with it. I enjoy cooking. I have an entrepreneurial spirit.

They do have advisors but I think the advisors at the school I go to would try to talk me into staying at that particular school. If I do the Culinary Arts, I'd have to switch CC's - which wouldn't be a big deal because they are all in the same network. It would just be a hassle. PLUS it's not an easy program. You have to have no less than a B in all the culinary classes or else you get kicked out of the program.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Why can't you do both? An Associate's in one and then a Bachelor's in another. I don't see why anyone has to limit themselves to just one interest in their life.
    My husband has an Associate's in Business Administration, a Bachelor's in Criminology, and is currently working on his MBA. He has always loved business and law enforcement and is able to perform in a job that requires both skills! Once he acquires his MBA he will receive a promotion and achieve a higher pay grade at his job as a government criminal investigator at NCIS.
    Do what you love and love what you do...you CAN have it all!!!
    Anonymous

• LOL, I wish You wouldn't have answered anonomously, Anon:37! I'd give you the best answer! LOL! :-D
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Well, my friend went to culinary school. She worked at 1 restaurant after she finished and quit. She hated it. She now works for Pepsi and would probably love to have had a PR degree.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2010