My 1 year old is gagging and vomitting every time I try feeding him solids?

My 1 year old is gagging and vomiting every time I try feeding him solids. He still eats jar food just fine and he can eat anything that is easily dissolvable like puffs or cheerios but most everything else causes him to gag and throw up. This has been going on since he was 9 mo and his pediatrician who I really love told me at his 12 mo check up to give it a little more time.... Has anyone ever heard of this or had this problem? I am beginning to wonder if I need to have him checked out by someone else.

JenG17

Asked by JenG17 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • Maybe it's too dry for him or the pieces too big? Do you give him water with meals?
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• my son only did that with the gerber graduates...and i think it was because of the chunks mixed in with the baby foods. Maybe it could be the texture of the foods. It could be because he is so used to swallowing babyfood and not having to chew. Are you feeding him or are you letting him feed himself? Let him feed himself little bites with his fingers
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• my son did the same thing. he always ate his baby food and rice cereal, but i started trying to give him puffs and little pieces of fruit and things around 8 months or so i think and he would gag the minute it touched his tounge and throw up all of his baby food or bottle. eventually i got him to start eating his puffs and about 3 days before his first birthday, he started to actually chew things and not really gag. but even now, he still gags sometimes here and there on something. i think your probably fine. every child is different and hes just probably not ready yet. i think you should give stage 3 foods if you arent already. thats how my son got better, i started giving him stage 3 at 10 months.. and just keep trying with little pieces of food and one day he will just get it out of no where!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My son choked on foods for the longest time and he was very affected by certain textures - he didn't eat much "solid" foods til around 15 months, he still choked on crackers and cheese and still won't eat certain foods with wrong textures for him, but just take it slow with some kids
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• not gerber graduates..my son choked on the stage 3 foods..
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Then don't feed him solids yet
    Anonymous

• My DD did this for a while at this age and outgrew it. Sometimes their tongues are still high in the back of their mouth making it hard for them to chew and swallow. I am sure there is a more medical term for that than what I just said, but you catch my drift I am sure. I waited a bit and she outgrew it and now she eats like a champ. The fact that your child is able to eat some things would make me feel a little better, he just needs more time to work his way up to big boy foods I think. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I agree that he probably just needs a little more time.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I agree with the ped, give him more time. My son was the same way and at 2 still gags on certain solid food. I chalk it up to being a picky eater.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2010