How can I make more breast milk??

I've been taking fenugreek seed pills for the last 3 months i take 3 pills 3 times a day! now im not nursing im just pumping and bottle feeding my daughter. She just moved up to 8oz and i cant keep up!!im digging into my frozen supply! HELP???

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure you drink lots of water....eating fatty snacks like avocado and nuts can also help. Instead of fenugreek, try the herbal supplement called "more milk plus"...it comes in pill or tincture form but I would recommend the pill (tinctures taste awful!) You can find it at a health food store or online. Also try "power pumping"....for one hour each day, pump for 10 minutes, take a 10 minute break and pump for 10 minutes again and repeat until the hour is over.

Also, make sure you are pumping at night- that alone can make a huge difference.

It's probably not what's causing the problem but sometimes if your pump is defective, you will not pump as much, eventually causing a decrease in supply. Check all your pump parts to make sure none of them are worn out.

You could even try renting a hospital grade pump for a little while and see if that makes a difference...I'm assuming you have a good double electric pump, and if not,
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:12 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Pumping will eventually dry your milk up. It's not the same as breastfeeding so your body slows production. My friends who pumped only were only able to do it for a few months. I've heard eating oatmeal can increase your milk supply but really the only thing that worked for me was to keep bfing.
    MacyLiamRoan

Answer by MacyLiamRoan at 3:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Can you let the baby nurse some of the time? Pumping always made me dry up. My second son refused to nurse and would scream in horror after I ate eggplant (strange, I know). He would drink from a bottle, but I just kept getting less and less milk as I pumped.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• There is a tea out there called Mother's Milk. I hated the taste of it, but you can add honey to it. That was the only thing that helped my milk supply. I also tried the fenugreek pills, and they didn't work. Extra calories, and tons of water as well!
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump

Answer by rkoloms at 4:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Pumping doesn't fully drain your breasts because it just is never as efficient as the baby. When your breasts aren't emptied they are signaled to produce less. Using your hands and hand expression while you pump can definitely help, but the best milk extractor is a baby's suck. Go here:   http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html     This will show you how to  maximize your pumping production.

My advice, at least put the baby to breast part of the time.   www.kellymom.com has tips for getting baby back to breast.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• i pump for 11 mts but after 7 mtys i had to supplent some bottles with formula. and i had an oversupply. how often do you pump?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I pump every 2 hours when im awake and i wake up twice at night to pump if i can my daughter has slept thru the night since she was 2 months old, so sometimes i go all night and dont pump! i drink a ton of water, and i use my hands when i pump as well. my daughter has never been able to latch on so that is not answer to my problem!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• sorry didnt mean to be rude just sick of that being my only answer!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• That's all the answer there is. Pumping is what it is.
    Latching problems usually can be fixed, have you tried recently. Consulted someone? Checked her for tongue tie? How about www.drjacknewman.com?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2010