Do you ever taste your child's baby food?

Some of the fruits are good, lol! I love the bananas. I buy the jarred food sometimes, and make home-made baby food sometimes as well, and I often give it a tiny taste to see what he'll be tasting, lol. Except for meats...I can't bring myself to try pureed meat. My son sure does love them, though. :)

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 3:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes I do, whether it's jarred or home made.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Jarred babyfoods are nasty.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• That's your opinion, rokoloms, I think some of them are quite tasty, and so does my child.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I taste EVERYTHING before I give it to him. If it tastes bad, I want to know. I try to make his food from what we are eating ourselves, so it usually tastes similar to my own meal. I did buy some of the Gerber turkey with rice... Oh my gosh, that was one of the worst things Ive ever put in my mouth! Not even my husband would eat it and he will eat ANYTHING! No wonder my kid wouldnt go near it!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Honest opinion?

I tasted my siblings baby food a very long time ago. Gross. The banana has a bizarre mouth feel and look -- mashed banana doesn't look like that. The fruit is palatable because its got sugar. Baby food is not very tasty -- it has no real texture or interest. Jarred meat...is just wrong in so many ways. I could grind up grubs put sugar on it and feed it to a baby and if they'd experienced nothing else they'd get used to it too. Plus you are paying through the nose for the jar and label. Food before one is supposed to be fun an interesting. Baby food is neither fun, nor interesting. I don't even know why people try to model it by making homemade "baby food". Just bake a sweet potato, or smoosh an avocado/banana/potato/carrot with a fork. All you need is food from your plate.

Baby food is a great big marketing ploy designed to separate people from their cash.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• amilee girl, I don't remember asking for a huge lecture on why you think baby food is so horrible. How dare I purchase something like that and feed it to my child? Pardon me for being such a horrible mother! My gosh!

For starters, baby food is hella cheap. It's like 50 cents a jar. That's nothing. Maybe that's expensive to you, but it's not to me. Secondly, my son does eat the majority of his food from my plate, but he also eats jarred baby food too. He doesn't like everything, but he does like some of the meats. Saying that he'll eat grubs with sugar is rude, and you don't know what you're talking about. You also don't know that he doesn't experience anything else! You assumed that.You don't know what my child will and will not eat. When responding to me, stick to the question next time or don't answer because you're wasting your time with rude, not needed advice. Thanks!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2010