Why don't new mothers know anything about babies?

Why don't they know that they don't sleep through the night, that they need to be held, that they don't like being alone, etc.

I just do not understand. Does anyone have an explanation???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Because every child is different and you never really know what you are going to get until you are home, alone... and supposed to be in charge. :-)

I do understand your question though... people have had 9 months to prepare themselves on the general idea of bringing a baby home. However, again- sometimes no matter how much one reads, it doesn't really give you the full brunt of it until you are home and already in the thick of it.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 6:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Inexperience maybe?

Answer by older at 3:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Maybe their mothers never taught them, maybe they never watched younger kids. But you would think that a lot of these questions are common sense!

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• did you know everything when you were a knew mother? i mean yes some of the questions on here are ridiculous but some of the mothers are scared inexperienced and probably alone.
    Anonymous

• When I was a new mother, I knew things about babies. Why do you assume all new mothers know nothing about babies?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Not all new mothers don't know anything. Some know quite a lot but we are constantly learning. This is our time as mother's who do know some things. To step up and help them out.

Anonymous

• I think a lot of it is inexperience and another part is that they are overwhelmed. It may not be so much that they dont know some of these things, but that they have never actually taken the time to think about it. They're running all over the place trying to make sure that they do things just perfect and they forget to slow down and remember that its a tiny person.

Others of course are just a few marbles short and probably should have thought twice before trying to raise that child...
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I'm a first time mother and I know this... that is not fair to group all new mothers in that category
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I was raised as an only child so i was never around babies. I knew they didnt sleep through the night tho, I used to hate babies/children tho. The sound of a baby crying used to make me so mad cuz i wasnt used to the noise. Of course, thats different now.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It probably has to do with what they were taught and exposed to growing up. I knew quite a lot with my first (though not nearly what i know now that I have 4!) even though I was only 19. I attribute that to the fact that my mom ran an in home daycare. I was surrounded by babies from the time I was 5 until 6th grade.
    I don't think the OP is saying ALL new mothers are like this. I think she is just saying she has been seeing a lot of these types of questions on here lately.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 4:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2010