How do you make a one year old sleep alone if they never have before?

My sister's son just turned one and has rarely slept alone much less in his own bed. He still breastfeeds frequently at night and during the day. She is trying to break him of sleeping with her and feeding at night first because her doctor reccomended it that way. She has tried Super Nanny's solutions and they have left him screaming and crying for 2 1/2 hours at a time ( being checked on in 10, 15, and 20 and so forth intervals). She is frustrated and trying not to let her stress influence him, but is dying for a better solution. Please help.

Kattie447

Asked by Kattie447 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well i dont breastfeed my one year old. does he eat solids/table food yet? my son stopped having night time bottles at 5 months old. if shes not feeding him solids and table food, maybe hes just hungry and thats why he still wakes up to eat in the night. she needs to start feeding the poor kid in the day time! and put him to bed with a big bottle at night. my son also drinks milk now so it probably fills him up more. maybe she should try that.
    as for sleeping in his own bed, i also have co-slept with my son most of is life. for now, if i need him to sleep in his crib - i either get him to fall asleep with a bottle, or rock him to sleep - and then put him in his crib. for now, that will do until hes a little older and can understand that you have to sleep in your own bed and thats that. i think hes still too young for me to leave him crying himself to sleep.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• In my opinion, crying it out if the only way. I know how bad it sucks. when my son was 4 mos old he wouldn't sleep unless he was held. We let him cry it out the first night and he cried for 4 hours. he passed out after a bottle and slept for 2 hours alone in his crib. he woke up and cried for another 3.5 hours and we gave in and held him. the next night he cried for 2 hours and slept thru the night all by himself in his crib. he has slept thru the night ever since and he is almost 3. We even consulted a sleep specialist. I still have the info if your sister is interested.
    GiannisMomma

Answer by GiannisMomma at 4:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• She has feed him baby food since he was 6 months old, but when he wants to nurse he just throws a fit and will not eat. He also eats table foods but is a VERY picky eater. To get that kid to drink milk is IMPOSSIBLE!! lol she even put 3/4 breast milk and 1/4 whole and he barely drinks it at all. He loves juice and water though so for now we are sticking to that. If you have any ideas on how to get him to like table foods or whole milk better please let me know.
    Kattie447

Answer by Kattie447 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• GiannisMama, thank you so much!! That is a ray of hope for us! She would like to know if you checked on your son or just let him cry? Her son Ian is considerably older and pretty set in his ways. Hope this works!!
    Kattie447

Answer by Kattie447 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• We would check on him. picking him up made it worse so we didn't do that. does she has a bed time routine for him. that really helped my son. that way he knew what was coming next. We have a 6 wk old little girl and we have a little routine for her too. she goes to bed pretty well at night and only wakes up once at night and goes right back to sleep.
    GiannisMomma

Answer by GiannisMomma at 4:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• yes he has always had a bedtime routine which only makes it harder to change as you probably know. naptime is a problem too.
    Kattie447

Answer by Kattie447 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• well i dont breastfeed my one year old. does he eat solids/table food yet? my son stopped having night time bottles at 5 months old. if shes not feeding him solids and table food, maybe hes just hungry and thats why he still wakes up to eat in the night. The child is just used to his routine and it is hard to change especially with a BF baby because they are used to easy access which a FF baby doesn't get. she needs to start feeding the poor kid in the day time! Who said the child's mother didn't feed him during the day? and put him to bed with a big bottle at night. Eww! She doesn't want him to have bottle rot.

Anonymous

• My daughter stopped nursing during the night around 13 months because I started drying up. Have her give him a milk CUP and some crackers before he goes to bed. When he finishes it quietly put him in bed (crib) let him cry it out. If he wakes up let him cry. My nephew is just like that. It can be so frustrating. UGH!! Good luck!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It will be a slow process. Perhaps start with naptimes. If you can get him to sleep in his bed during naptime then maybe nighttime will be easier. We also used the CIO method, but DS was much younger. We never co slept. I would also suggest giving him cups of water at night when he wakes. That should encourage him to eat more during the day and sleep at night. That I had to do with DS b/c he was waking too much at night and not eating much during the day.

Overall, be patient and keep trying.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 5:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Um.. she just should have never started that horrible habit in the first place..lol.

She needs to give some tough love... a few nights of crying.. but he will live.
    Anonymous